Advice on Aggressive Rooster -- Keeps Going After All Of Us Including Young Kids

He should be turned into dog meat or eatenā€” A mean Rooster with a three year old and bloods been drawn? šŸ˜±. Iā€™m surprised the rooster is still living! Plus, Roosters are known to go after the eyes of children and other animals they have it in their minds is a threat or that they donā€™t want near their hens. I had a rooster who went mean after a year of age and he first went after a low pecking order drake, he pecked the eyes out of him, then he started going after me and the kids, me only when I turned my back and he would try to chase the kids, I culled him and he was turned into dog meat. I have not met anyone who could make a rooster friendly, I think some have it in their genetics to see human as enemyā€” and others have had it bred out of them. I rather think it is more about nature than nurture in this case with birds.

Crimes; assault with a deadly beak, claws; battery, attempted chick-fanticide, attempted murder, numerous assaults, attempted cannibalism,...

Defendant how do you plead...?

The jury will determine if prisoner X will be sent to the barbecue chamber, and by lethal injection of barbecue sauce.

Hi everyone,

Our White Leghorn, Roosty, turned rotten this spring. He goes after all of us, especially my three year old son. He's drawn blood several times on my son, husband and I, and once it was running down my son's hand. He pecked my one year old daughter on the cheek(!). We have almost three acres. That seems like plenty of space but no. He will come from across the yard after any of us (me, hubs, and kids - 9, 7, 3, 1). He sneak attacks me when I have the side door down and am leaning all the way inside the coop to scoop poop on the far side. He runs up from behind and attacks when I am carrying water buckets, poop buckets, food, bedding, etc. He's so dirty about it!

I have tried hitting him with a stick to get him away (eventually very hard because it hurts when he pecks and I am tired of bleeding!) and avoiding him (often he comes from across the yard to get us). Once I hung him upside down with rope in the run door for a bit. Then I put him in solitary in the very small enclosure I use for transitioning chicks before they join the flock. I let him out after a few days but once it got warm a couple days later he was back to pecking. Back to solitary, for about a week. I started feeling sorry for him and let him out. The moment he got out he pecked me, I gave him space and a few minutes later he attacked from behind when I was bringing the full waterer into the big run. I threw him back in solitary and there he remains. Food, water, shelter but alone. I feel sorry for him -- he truly is pathetic.

Some background: we added four chickens that hatched in my daughter's kindergarten class to our rainbow flock last last year, along with 15 pullets from the local feed store. The four turned out to be White Leghorns, three roosters and one pullet. Roosty is the last one standing; the other three succumbed to either disease or predators.

I have 15 four week chicks in the brooder, including two new roosters -- an Americana and Wellington, to go with my 12 grown hens.

Can his behavior be corrected? I honestly think I am done, just wanted to ask if anyone has any other suggestions.

I have friends that have offered to teach me how to slaughter and process him -- I've always wanted to learn and it's a good opportunity. I hate giving up on any creature, even a jerk of a rooster. Have I tried everything? Is it ok to let him go? My kids shouldn't be afraid to go outside and play, and I'm afraid he's going to peck my daughter's eye out.

Please get rid of him. I lived on a farm . When I was about 12 years old a rooster attacked a little girl. Got her right down on the ground and tore her face all up with those spurs. Those spurs are lethal. You couldn't even see her little face there was so much blood. Happened in split second. I was big enough to chase him off. He became dinner. You say soon you will get rid of him. Soon might be too late. NOW this minute would be your best tactic. Sorry to be blunt but roosters who attack are truly dangerous.

This is immensely helpful for the future. Thank you!
Tried that multiple times with one mean sucker, it only lasted 36 - 48 hours and he was back to his old self. I spent months trying to "re-hab" that bad boy - he drew blood twice - I did all the positive / gentle training suggestions, when that didn't work I chased hime down and beat him with a stick. I thought I killed him more than once. Two days later he was attacking again. He just had to be culled. I will never ever spend the time and effort to try to gentle a rooster again. The very next rooster we had (this bad roosters own son) has been a perfect upstanding kind bird since day one, and he turns 3 years this summer. Not even a stink-eye from him. So many good roosters out there culled daily because just too many, while bad ones are attacking kids.

I've had to get rid of roosters because of aggressive behavior to the point I don't bother with them anymore. It didn't take me long to come to that point, either. I don't free range as there are too many predators in the area, but my girls have a great run. Still, there's no good way for them to get rid of a feisty aggressive roo. When they start attacking my grandkids who are trying to feed them... gone.

When one drew blood on my four-year-old granddaughter who was tossing them mealworms it was the last straw.

I used to carry a broomstick and swing it behind me to keep a rooster back. I decided I didn't want to be attacked every time I needed to manage the flock and finally culled him. If I'd had small children, I wouldn't have put up with it as long.

He is a dangerous liability. Kill him and be done with it. Do not give him away to attack someone else. What if your kids have a friend over that gets attacked? Some parents are lawsuit happy. A child is close enough to the ground for a nasty rooster to take out an eye. Eat him or bury him. There are lots of nice roosters around. You may have to try a few times to find one. Different breeds can be especially nasty too. I had an Ameracauna roo that was so nice I think he may have been retarded. I have two ayam cemani roos now that are very tame and docile. They don't bother me or even the dogs in the yard. I had a cream legbar rooster that was nasty like yours and the second time he went after me he had a talk with a shovel

Just because it is spring or "breeding season" is no excuse. I have 2 roosters currently that are 3 or 4 and they have never acted aggressive to anyone during this time. It's time for him to go before he literally take an eye out of a kid

Back
Top Bottom