advice on hatching bobwhite quail

JerseyHen

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Sussex County, NJ
So, GQF had the hovabator genesis 1588, turners, and quail rails as a combo (cheaper than separately with shipping) for a decent deal so I went for it. Here is the thing. I have never hatched before, I am a chicken person (although I am looking to get into game birds, pheasant really) and this combo comes with 30 quail eggs. I am, of course, going to attempt to hatch them and can build whatever I need to keep them (I have a large brooder and plenty of room to build). I just hadn't planned on it and now I have a really steep learning curve to catch up with.

Here is my understanding:
Incubate close to 100 (will the preset work?) at 45 - 55% humidity, then up the humidity a bit at lockdown? Which would be when? 20 days?

Then as soon as they are dry, into the brooder at close to 100 with gamebird starter on the floor and a waterer that is either made for tiny quail or use marbles in a chick waterer?

Then into cages at 5 or 7 weeks? 1 square foot per bird in breeding pen, 3 in flight pen?

Here is where I am totally befuddled:
1 to 1 mating, 3 to 1 mating, colony?
I do understand that I can house a good number of hens in one pen together, but what if I want (and I will) to get fertile eggs. What is the ideal? I have seen different reports for the bobwhites.

Also, cages:
Ground?
Elevated?
Wire?
Solid?

Personally, I think an elevated cage is probably a lot easier on my back (until I get that aviary built). Solid or wire? How much shelter? Should it be a hollow log or bark or branches or a roof or both?

Sorry for the total newbie stuff, but I want to be ready. I don't generally jump right in like this... usually it is months of research before I go for it.

Last edited:
So, GQF had the hovabator genesis 1588, turners, and quail rails as a combo (cheaper than separately with shipping) for a decent deal so I went for it. Here is the thing. I have never hatched before, I am a chicken person (although I am looking to get into game birds, pheasant really) and this combo comes with 30 quail eggs. I am, of course, going to attempt to hatch them and can build whatever I need to keep them (I have a large brooder and plenty of room to build). I just hadn't planned on it and now I have a really steep learning curve to catch up with.

Here is my understanding:
Incubate close to 100 (will the preset work?) at 45 - 55% humidity, then up the humidity a bit at lockdown? Which would be when? 20 days? Temp should be at or around 99.7 degrees. Humidity during incubation, 55% tp 60%. At lock down on day 20, up the humidity by 10%/

Then as soon as they are dry, into the brooder at close to 100 with gamebird starter on the floor and a waterer that is either made for tiny quail or use marbles in a chick waterer? Start the temp in the brooder at 97 or 98 degrees and lower it by 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks. It is best to use an infra red lamp for Bobs to keep them calm and preventing cannibalism. It also allows for a normal sleep pattern which will keep the tamer. A chick waterer will work or put marbles in a larger waterer. You can eve use jelly jar lids with tiny stones in them. Bobs drown really easily in water.

Then into cages at 5 or 7 weeks? 1 square foot per bird in breeding pen, 3 in flight pen? You can take them outside at 6 weeks old. Bobs need 4 square feet per bird. They are big and hyper.

Here is where I am totally befuddled:
1 to 1 mating, 3 to 1 mating, colony? Bobs mate for life to one bird. So one male to one female. Some folks have colony raised them with luck, however you need a lot of room to do so. Do not mix more than one female with a mated pair. Females have been known to kill other females. During breeding season of Bobs over one year old, you may need to separate each pair to prevent fighting. After the breeding season is over, you can mix them all back together.
I do understand that I can house a good number of hens in one pen together, but what if I want (and I will) to get fertile eggs. What is the ideal? I have seen different reports for the bobwhites. You can not conjugal visit males with females. It takes up to 2 weeks of breeding to insure fertile eggs. If you want fertile eggs, you will have to pair them off. And yes, you can keep females together in one cage.

Also, cages: You can keep them how ever you wish to keep them. Keep in mind, no matter how you keep them, keep it clean.
Ground?
Elevated?
Wire?
Solid?

Personally, I think an elevated cage is probably a lot easier on my back (until I get that aviary built). Solid or wire? How much shelter? Should it be a hollow log or bark or branches or a roof or both? If you keep them in an aviary style set up, you will need to provide them with some sort of shelter to get out of all wind, rain and snow. If you keep them on wire in cages, make sure to offer them a place to get off the wire occasionally to prevent foot pad injuries.

Sorry for the total newbie stuff, but I want to be ready. I don't generally jump right in like this... usually it is months of research before I go for it. Good luck with all these Bobs! They are a fun, interesting bird to keep.

Thanks for the great info twocrowsranch! They really need 4 square feet per bird? I thought my brahmas (at 11 pounds) were needy using 4 sq feet per bird in the coop. I can do it, and I realize it is for decreasing aggression, cannibalism, and would make for a more comfortable environment for them, but that seems like a large space for a small bird (still smaller than my bantams). I suppose that being essentially a wild bird that the enclosure might need to be more expansive to allow for the zoomies. Eventually I am planning a very large aviary set up that comes as close to imitating a natural environment as possible for an assortment of ornamental fowl, but for now I will have to build temporary cages and was hoping to use an industrial shelf to create a stacked set of enclosures that I could use for the time being and for breeding season separation. I will rethink my plan.

Here is some info I had found on bobwhites, thought I would share in case any other newbies do a search and end up on this thread.
http://msucares.com/poultry/game/poultry_space.html
http://www.lakecumberlandgamebirds.com/new_page_3.htm
http://www.poultry.msstate.edu/extension/pdf/raising_quail.pdf
http://www.gamebirdfarm.net/categories.php

While certain poultry such as chickens and coturnix quail have been domesticated for eons, bobwhites are only new to being kept in captivity. They retain their frustrations and aggressions. And if kept in cramp quarters, will turn on each other. So 4 square feet per bird is the recommended space. More if you can afford it. :)

Good luck!

I like my birds on a raised floor with wire. Add some sand pans so they can dust. Also I have a catch pen/building with alfalfa I let them go in at times to scratch & pick at the alfalfa.

Day 12 and so far out of 37 eggs in the mail: 1 arrived cracked. Of the 36 set: 1 clear, 1 early quitter, 34 developing well. So far so good. I hope we make it the full stretch.

Back
Top Bottom