Advice on Minor Injury

Qwerty3159

Crowing
6 Years
Dec 3, 2017
Rhode Island
About three hours ago this troublemaker escaped while I was cleaning the loft and immediately got nailed by a Cooper's. Luckily I was able to chase the hawk off before it killed or seriously injured her but his talons did manage to make a small puncture on the underside of her wing. She can still fly and use the wing fine and seems no worse for wear.
I went out a few minutes ago and took the below photos. The wound itself is on the right side and that second spot of blood is just staining from the bird folding her wing. It doesn't seem to be deep and is hardly bleeding, but I'm wondering what I should do in terms of first aid. I was thinking a gentle rinse with water and then peroxide from a spray bottle might help but wanted to check here first.
v94Frqy.jpg

bxlk6no.jpg

About three hours ago this troublemaker escaped while I was cleaning the loft and immediately got nailed by a Cooper's. Luckily I was able to chase the hawk off before it killed or seriously injured her but his talons did manage to make a small puncture on the underside of her wing. She can still fly and use the wing fine and seems no worse for wear.
I went out a few minutes ago and took the below photos. The wound itself is on the right side and that second spot of blood is just staining from the bird folding her wing. It doesn't seem to be deep and is hardly bleeding, but I'm wondering what I should do in terms of first aid. I was thinking a gentle rinse with water and then peroxide from a spray bottle might help but wanted to check here first.
v94Frqy.jpg

bxlk6no.jpg
Pretty bird and a lucky one! It doesn't look too bad.
@sourland @Hokum Coco @cavemanrich ?
See what the more experienced folks think.

Polysporin and Crazy Glue are two of my favourite materials for pigeon first aid. I have used Crazy Glue in place of stitches. From the picture I do not think it will require stitches.
Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of using crazy glue.
I used a spray bottle to rinse the area with some lukewarm water. Luckily, with all the gummed up blood washed from the area the cut seemed quite smaller than I'd thought. I sprayed a small amount of peroxide on after that, and I think she'll be just fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190110-174550.png
    Screenshot_20190110-174550.png
    953.3 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom