Advice on open coops!!!!!!!

Woa pause, you are literally my neighbor. I'm in East Bend! Yay! It's good to know there is someone else from my area on here.

That said.... We get some cold winters too. I'm talking it was in the teens Fahrenheit.... And we get some snow..... Keep the wind at bay, ventilation, and keep them dry.

Also, if you want some heat for them.... You can offer a heat lamp. I have a coop that the water freezes no matter what I do, so I hung a heat lamp over it and that kept the water from freezing as well as put off heat for my birds. Another heat source option that is twofold..... Set a paver stone, put an outdoor light socket with medium to high watts bulb or a heat bulb, set a terracotta pot upside down over the light, then place the pot tray right side up over the pot. You can then set your waterer on the tray and the heat that radiates will keep the water from freezing while the terracotta emits heat like a heater would. I'll try to find a pic or link to where I found the idea......
Yeah, we get frozen water quite a bit. I'm up at 5 in the morning before the chickens wake up so that gives me time to take the ice layer off (side note, I love the sound of the ice breaking on the ground. Sounds like glass breaking). During the day it doesn't really freeze until the sun goes down.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/wichita-cabin-coop.47747/

This is where I found the idea and the two pics of it. I don't have pics of ours....
Screenshot_20180504-055043.png
Screenshot_20180504-055103.png

Back
Top Bottom