Advice on open coops!!!!!!!

A lot warmer :lau

His roosts for the chickens are wide enough so they can cover their feet with their feathers, he did not have any issues with frost bite. My chickens which are in a house were a little bitten by it.
Oh that's a good idea. They actually don't have roosts. They never used them. They have heaps of hay at the bottom and they snuggle themselves tightly together.

Well I live in USA North Carolina now temp are 70 and 80 F :D

Woa pause, you are literally my neighbor. I'm in East Bend! Yay! It's good to know there is someone else from my area on here.

That said.... We get some cold winters too. I'm talking it was in the teens Fahrenheit.... And we get some snow..... Keep the wind at bay, ventilation, and keep them dry.

Also, if you want some heat for them.... You can offer a heat lamp. I have a coop that the water freezes no matter what I do, so I hung a heat lamp over it and that kept the water from freezing as well as put off heat for my birds. Another heat source option that is twofold..... Set a paver stone, put an outdoor light socket with medium to high watts bulb or a heat bulb, set a terracotta pot upside down over the light, then place the pot tray right side up over the pot. You can then set your waterer on the tray and the heat that radiates will keep the water from freezing while the terracotta emits heat like a heater would. I'll try to find a pic or link to where I found the idea......

Back
Top Bottom