Advice on open coops!!!!!!!

blakeee

Songster
Dec 31, 2016
Australia
Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone has 'open coops' and how they feel about them especially during winter. By open coop I mean with no closed doors. I have wood panelling on the walls and then two dog kennels with a large log in front to stop some draft. I have two elderly chickens and then a young one and I'm currently looking at buying a proper in closed coop but struggling to find one with the right price and quality. It's so close to winter (in Australia) and I'm wondering if my chickens will be okay. I'm sure they will but I'm interested to see people's views on them.

I think it would depend on how cold it gets. I have a friend and he has open coops by that I mean nesting boxes with chain link around them and a roof and tarps for wind protection. The temps this winter got down in the teens F. The chickens did great he has been keeping them this way for years. (20-30)

EDIT TO ADD: The nesting boxes are on a solid back wall and tarp are on the sides.

Last edited:
I think it would depend on how cold it gets. I have a friend and he has open coops by that I mean nesting boxes with chain link around them and a roof and tarps for wind protection. The temps this winter got down in the teens F. The chickens did great he has been keeping them this way for years. (20-30)

EDIT TO ADD: The nesting boxes are on a solid back wall and tarp are on the sides.
Oh wow! It sounds similar to my set-up. I have a roof as well I might add. I still am looking for the perfect house to give them. I would just feel a little more kind. In winter where I am it can get below 0 degrees Celsius so quite cold.

Oh wow! It sounds similar to my set-up. I have a roof as well I might add. I still am looking for the perfect house to give them. I would just feel a little more kind. In winter where I am it can get below 0 degrees Celsius so quite cold.
Yes he has a roof also. I like his set up and am thinking of make some like the myself.
I grew up in Canada and 0 Celsius is 32 F so I might think your chickens should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom