house.of.ducks

Songster
May 4, 2018
Connecticut
Hey everyone !! It’s been quite awhile since I’ve posted here, it’s a long story but A LOT, both good and bad has happened with the flock since last spring, maybe I’ll get into that some other time.

Anyway, money has been tight lately and I’ve been getting AT LEAST 5 eggs from the ducks every day and was wondering if anyone had any advice on starting to sell them? I live in Connecticut (US) if that makes any difference.

I’ve had ducks for what will be 4 years on September 7th, but I’ve never attempted to sell any of their eggs before, even though the last couple of years I’ve been getting an INSANE amount.

The main questions I have are:
• How much should I charge per dozen (I was thinking maybe $4-5? I’d much rather undercharge than overcharge)?
• Where/how should I sell them and how should I advertise?
• Should I charge more for the eggs my Jumbo Pekin lays? (I may not end up selling hers aha)
• And also I’d love to hear all of your experiences and any other advice you’d like to add!!

All of my ducks are fed a complete and healthy diet and I try to let them out of the pen (which is HUGE btw lol) and into the yard to have supervised (we have a decent yard but we do live in a small neighborhood) free range time. They get plenty of clean water to swim and bathe in and are I observe them closely for signs of illness. I’ve handled nearly all but one of them since they were babies (i let my muscovy sit on eggs last summer and 9 out of 14 hatched and all 9 are still alive, I assisted many of them in hatching which was scary but rewarding, especially bc I’m apparently damn good at it) and although I’ve gotten them from various places (Metzer Farms Hatchery, local farms, hatched some) I’ve never gotten salmonella or anything from any of them.

I also clean all of their eggs in an all natural egg cleanser.

Anyway, any advice on selling eggs would be greatly appreciated!! :)🥚

Last edited:
Hey everyone !! It’s been quite awhile since I’ve posted here, it’s a long story but A LOT, both good and bad has happened with the flock since last spring, maybe I’ll get into that some other time.

Anyway, money has been tight lately and I’ve been getting AT LEAST 5 eggs from the ducks every day and was wondering if anyone had any advice on starting to sell them? I live in Connecticut (US) if that makes any difference.

I’ve had ducks for what will be 4 years on September 7th, but I’ve never attempted to sell any of their eggs before, even though the last couple of years I’ve been getting an INSANE amount.

• How much should I charge per dozen (I was thinking maybe $4-5? I’d much rather undercharge than overcharge)?
• Should I charge more for the eggs my Jumbo Pekin lays? (I may not end up selling hers aha)
• And also I’d love to hear all of your experiences and any other advice you’d like to add!!

All of my ducks are fed a complete and healthy diet and I try to let them out of the pen (which is HUGE btw lol) and into the yard to have supervised (we have a decent yard but we do live in a small neighborhood) free range time. They get plenty of clean water to swim and bathe in and are I observe them closely for signs of illness. I’ve handled nearly all but one of them since they were babies (i let my muscovy sit on eggs last summer and 9 out of 14 hatched and all 9 are still alive, I assisted many of them in hatching which was scary but rewarding, especially bc I’m apparently damn good at it) and although I’ve gotten them from various places (Metzer Farms Hatchery, local farms, hatched some) I’ve never gotten salmonella or anything from any of them.

4/5 $ a dozen seems fair.

You can advertise on Facebook and Craiglist or your local farmers market
Most people are looking for Free-range eggs, They want to know birds are living a happy life. That doesn't mean 100 acres, just a simple backyard can be classified as free-range. I go to my farmer's market on occasion and usually get sold out pretty fast. I made a little sign with red barn boards, with prices to the customers, a chalkboard also might work if prices change throughout the season.

Are they fertile? I've been selling fertile hatching eggs on Craigslist for $20 a dozen.

Never thought of that, Do you sell your eggs as mixed breed or do you have breeds separated?
mixed breed, i’m not looking to profit too much out of them, just make a little extra to help pay for food and bedding, so i haven’t bothered trying to sort out the different breeds, and some of the ducks are mixed to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom