Advice please - Embryos all stuck to side

MungoSummer

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2015
South of England
I have just bought a second incubator (Basic Brinsea Mini Eco) to use mainly as a hatcher. Up to now I have only hatched in a Brinsea Octagon 20 with auto turning cradle. I couldn't resist setting eggs in the Mini Eco when I set some in the Octagon as I wasn't sure of fertility rates of young roo. I have never manually turned before, but read the instructions and thought I was supposed to turn end to end vertically (the eggs are laid on sides). I have been doing this 3 x daily but alll of the embryos are stuck to one side and vascular development is only on that side, with the other side of the egg clear. They are at 7 days. Can I do anything now or should I discard the eggs? What should I have done instead? I am really annoyed/upset with myself. All eggs in the Octagon are perfect as always. Very high fertility rate too (28 of 30). Thanks very much.

Are you saying that you were turning them such that, at one point the pointy end is facing a particular wall and then you turned it so the big end is facing that wall?

I would just start turning them correctly. When I set shipped eggs I don't turn them for the first 3-5 days. I've even had my turner break and not noticed for 10 days lol. You have nothing to lose.

Yes, that is what I have been doing. Should I have been rolling them a quarter turn? I will carry on correctly and see what happens. Thanks for the prompt reply.

This is what the Brinsea instructions say:
7 Egg Turning
7.1 Mark each egg with a pencil “X” one side and “O” the other. This ensures that you can see which eggs you have turned. Turn three times a day starting on the second day.
7.2 Always turn about the pointed end to reduce the chance of damaging the internal structures of the egg.

However a video on Brinsea site says to mark the eggs with an X on one side at 10 O'Clock and the O at 2 O'Clock, then roll between the X and O alternately.
How do other people turn please?

The way to correctly turn eggs manually is to lay them on their sides and put a x on one side. Turn it 180 degrees 3 times a day. So if the x is facing up one time the next time you turn it so the x is facing down. You don't turn it from facing one wall to another. Your rolling it so the x is either facing up or down.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom