Advice Please for Pregnant Injured Rescue Cat

When i had a week old kitten without mom i needed to use a syringe to feed her. I wrapped her in a towel like a mummy, minus head. I had to really keep her little head still in order for her to take the syringe. Good luck. What your doing is amazing.
Thank you. Unfortunately her belly is so sensitive I can't pick her up unless by the scruff of the neck.... the vet did that with her and she seemed fine.
I'm just not comfortable doing that and then force feeding her iron and vitamin supplements down her throat. I worry I'll choke her.

I'm always impressed with people who can keep such a young kitten alive, there's quite a bit too it!

Oh I forgot to update!!!
I became concerned and insisted we find a vet that could do an ultrasound. Eventually we were able to send her to the capital city to a trauma vet. Costly and hard on her but worth it.
She was not pregnant!!! She is severely malnourished, anemic and was in great discomfort. It was fluid in her abdomen. At least now I can provide the correct care for her.
She needs iron and vitamin drops which she hates so, instead of forcing it down her throat, I'm going the much slower route of adding a few drops into her food (smelly tuna or sardines in water, etc to disguise). Also I'm increasing iron rich foods including diced raw meat pieces, etc. Basically tempting her to health with diet.

Because she is still fragile I am keeping her in my bedroom which has a small catio window. She's rather be out and about but she needs to be more physically competent and able before I integrate her with the 5 other cats.

This young cat has been through a lot. She's friendly and she seeks affection but very quickly gets overstimulated and attacks drawing blood.... so it'll be a gradual process of socializing her. Some days I feel better about it than others, but that's quite normal and by persisting in the past I've had great results and now have some really enjoyable pets. Hopefully this will be true for Cindy also.

BTW the vet sterilized her while examining her so no possibility of kittens! :wee
Wow, great job listening to your instincts and seeking an ultrasound. Also, you're wonderful for being willing to incur that expense for a rescue. ❤️
Did the vet have any insight as to what was causing the ascites? Did they draw off any fluid while they had her under? I'm a bit surprised they were willing to spay even with that going on and her body condition, etc, but I get it, you have to take the opportunities that present themselves and I'm sure they weighed risk/benefit carefully.
Regardless, she is one tough little girl!
I wish I had some magical trick to share for getting meds into an unwilling patient, but no such luck... sounds like you are giving her the very best you can.
Keep up the great work!
(I'd love to see progress pictures too!)

Wow, great job listening to your instincts and seeking an ultrasound. Also, you're wonderful for being willing to incur that expense for a rescue. ❤️
Did the vet have any insight as to what was causing the ascites? Did they draw off any fluid while they had her under? I'm a bit surprised they were willing to spay even with that going on and her body condition, etc, but I get it, you have to take the opportunities that present themselves and I'm sure they weighed risk/benefit carefully.
Regardless, she is one tough little girl!
I wish I had some magical trick to share for getting meds into an unwilling patient, but no such luck... sounds like you are giving her the very best you can.
Keep up the great work!
(I'd love to see progress pictures too!)
I was quite upset they sterilized her without my permission, I would have said no, not yet. Unfortunately because she had only been with me a short while everyone still viewed her as a rescue .... but they still knew who to send the bill to 😅 The good thing is she can stay home now and we'll move forward from there.
Two kind people drove her to the city and back as they were going anyway. So that helped hugely! I like it when people try to help animals in anyway they can. ❤️

Thank you. Unfortunately her belly is so sensitive I can't pick her up unless by the scruff of the neck.... the vet did that with her and she seemed fine.
I'm just not comfortable doing that and then force feeding her iron and vitamin supplements down her throat. I worry I'll choke her.

I'm always impressed with people who can keep such a young kitten alive, there's quite a bit too it!
Yea, i remember having to assist her first poop using mineral oil, water with a syringe. It worked perfectly tho.

Cindy is severely underweight and pregnant. She was found with injuries and operated on by volunteer vets who have done the best they can with very limited resources and no payment. We're in rural Paraguay and few vets can afford xray machines, etc.
I adopted her 2 days ago to help my devoted rescue vet (currently sheltering 30+ dogs) and give her a forever home but I've never had a pregnant cat or dog! I always adopt older pets and sterilize! So in this situation any advice is welcome!

-She's loves raw mince meat and kinda likes wet kitten and cat food.
-She's affectionate but don't go near the belly!!!
-It's like stroking a bag of bones her spine is that pronounced
-We've no idea when her kittens are due
-Part of her lower right lip/jaw is exposed, she eats well but very slowly
-She's very young, I'd guess less than a year old
-She is limited to my bathroom and "sun room" I want her to have the kittens in my bathroom (safe and warm)
-She's social but defensive and I can't mix her with my other indoor cats until the kittens are rehomed

Cindy is short for Cinderella because I want her to have a fairytale ending...

View attachment 3256268
View attachment 3256270
She is precious! I love that you are taking her in and giving her a forever home! I had a similar experience with a kitten a year and a half ago. She was starving and one of her eyes was gone. I made friends with her and got her to the vet. She is small, but healthy and happy now.

Attachments

• 63F50445-E664-412C-85E8-635BB2CC8A68.jpeg
    63F50445-E664-412C-85E8-635BB2CC8A68.jpeg
    630.8 KB · Views: 4
She is precious! I love that you are taking her in and giving her a forever home! I had a similar experience with a kitten a year and a half ago. She was starving and one of her eyes was gone. I made friends with her and got her to the vet. She is small, but healthy and happy now.
What a gorgeous calico! And I love that telephone!
Cindy is doing really well, she's quite a challenge to integrate with the other 5 cats but very endearing and devoted to me. I just added her intro story to my new blog today:
https://my-tripod.com/2022/12/20/cindy-cinderella-a-surprise-adoption-with-a-bite/

Back
Top Bottom