Advice

So the ducks loved him but he was indifferent to them. He is in the pen with them screaming his head off because he wants back in the house with us. I'm worried about him. He just wants us around, and tomorrow everyone is going to be gone most of the day. Someone is usually home but tomorrow we all have stuff going on all day. We only had him 36 hours max before meeting the ducks and most of that was night time.

Help. He is breathing weird. I'm so worried. He has been with us nonstop today and was fine all day. I put him up while I put my kids to bed then went and got him again. He is kind of gasping and opening his mouth to breath. He is still "talking" and eating/drinking. He did play outside a lot today and got in some water.

Is it warm where you are? He could be panting to cool down.

He might eventually take to the ducks, but he won't be truly happy with them. I can say this from experience after accidentally owning a single goose for a year. She was so much happier when I was able to get her goose friends. I know you're not crazy about brooding babies again but it's really what's in his best interest. He's clearly not happy outside with the ducks, judging from his behavior today.

I don't think he was to warm, he was inside the house and its cool in there. I'm sitting in the garage with him and he is eating with the ducks.

I tried putting my new 4 week old gosling in with the 2 month old ducks...what a disaster. The Gosling tried to make nicey but the ducks continually picked on him or ignored him, whatever they felt like at the moment. Poor gosling. So, against the advice of just about everybody, I put him in an enclosed run next door to my week old goslings (they are a tenth his size!) so they could talk thru the fencing. Wow, what an improvement. The littlest ones quickly figured out how to go under the gate and join the big guy whenever they wanted. They all talk to each other all the time except when napping in the shade. This afternoon I went to change water (3xper day) and discovered the big gosling had finally figured out how to slide between the gate bars and join the little ones. Now everyone is happy. I just don't think geese are happy with ducks. They don't speak the same language (I'm serious, just listen to them).

Back
Top Bottom