***Advise needed*** Chicken Run

KWood

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2016
West Yorkshire
Good evening,

Just a quick question and some advise needed please.

Our garden gets very boggy when its wet. We have designed the coop and run so that the bogginess does not transfer into the run area but it does get wet still, there is a little tunnel that leads from one part ofthe coop to the other and another part of the run that does get a little with wet when the garden is when. Obviously the chickens poop there and sometimes it is stamped in the ground... When we rake the area we are greated with a horrible smell of poop how do you guys keep smelliness down? Is there anything we can put down or a better flooring solution?

Thanks in advance

Thank toy for your help.we have looked into sand and thing we will try this just hope it is ok for thir feet.

Think we are going to rake it out completely to clean it then get sand down.

Thank you

Lots of folks use wood chips and lots of others use sand in the runs.  The sand does a great job with drainage whereas the chips give the birds something to scratch around in.  Here's a great article from The Learning Center that tackles the muddy run problem.  Hope it helps.  Cheers!  https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-fix-a-muddy-run-chicken-coop

I have been using sand in my run for eight years now. I like it, and it's easy to scoop the poop so there's never any stink.

However, sand isn't going to be any better than any other bedding in the run if drainage around your run is inadequate. If water doesn't run away from the run, it will make the sand wet and it will compact, making it impossible to keep it clean and therefore it will smell.

Before you do anything about bedding, you need to address your runoff problems first. Trenches dug around the run, diverting water away from the run is what you need to spend time on before moving to installing the sand.

Also, unless you are willing to spend a little time and money to put a roof over your run, if you have a lot of rainfall or snow, you are not going to be able to keep your run dry, even with adequate drainage. A covered run also keeps the chickens safer, and they are going to be far more relaxed than chickens in an open run.

It's best to fix drainage issues first, or whenever you can, because nothing really works well in a bog. A covered run would help a lot to keep out the rain (snow?) but managing run-off is very important. Then, deep bedding with shavings and plant materials will work best, and the birds will dig around in it, turning it into mulch/ compost. Sand seems to work in very dry climates, with daily 'poop scooping', much more labor intensive. Colorado is dry! Michigan is damp/ wet, and my run is now roofed, and I use deep bedding in the coop and run, cleaned out two or three times each year. Much easier! Sand or gravel as a base to raise the run to promote drainage, might be an option, or trenches to divert rainwater, or French drains if necessary. Mary

Last edited:
Hi my coop is about 10x10 and is covered with coregated roof and tarp walls. The ground is damp but not muddy. Would it be better to wait for it to dry up in spring and then add 3"of sand? Or could I put the sand now creating a dryer environment?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom