Age for identifying rooster? Buff Orpington.

I seem to do thing backwards anyhow lol. I think I am stuck with going to the hatchery and just ordering a batch with a bunch of cockerels and a few more pullets- I guess I'll have to make more room in the freezer for the extra ones.
D.gif

I researched the breeds and founf this to be the best all around for what I needed. Meat size, lays eggs all year long, fairly quiet, very friendly. I'd like to keep them Pure.

Yes, but they are prone to broodiness which will put you out of eggs a couple months whenever they decide to go broody :rolleyes: I found that I can not break them of it either. Mine is not the greatest layer either. Ah well. She sure is pretty :)

I prefer Barred rocks personally. They lay better, are cold hardy, just as friendly, non-broody (generally) and are great dual purpose birds.

I was ooking for broody since I am going for both eggs and meat and I have neighbors interested in the same thing. I've own barred rocks they are great layers, but they are hard to catch and the roos often aren't friendly. One thing I will say the BO's are so sweet its going to be difficult eating them. I've set aside one to keep since she's as friendly as an affectionate cat. They also don't mind my 2 year old handling them.

I was ooking for broody since I am going for both eggs and meat and I have neighbors interested in the same thing. I've own barred rocks they are great layers, but they are hard to catch and the roos often aren't friendly. One thing I will say the BO's are so sweet its going to be difficult eating them. I've set aside one to keep since she's as friendly as an affectionate cat. They also don't mind my 2 year old handling them.
Barred rocks are the same in friendliness in many people's opinion. They follow you around like dogs. Wish I had better experience with BO's. From the breeder around here, they are just average in the friendliness department. My barred rocks were always easy to handle, and the kids always favoured them. Even compared to the silkies which every kid loves.
IMGP8525.jpg
907901e6.jpg
On top of that, they look particularly good with Buff Orpingtons. The two colours really complement eachother ;)
3c54fd13.jpg
My buff orpington is fostering five barred rock chicks I bought from a reputable breeder. She is a wonderful mother. She can cover all 5 at 5 weeks of age + a full grown silkie. She is super mom lol

Yes they are pretty together. Last time I did chickens I had barrerd rock and rhode Islands. The last Barred Rock I had was my ducks best friend theys invite themselves in the house. I just got my chick order in of straight run since I need a rooster. I think I got a mystery chick... its a little bigger and it's yellow. Your kids are adorable, I have 3 of my own pipsqueaks.

Keep us posted! I have 4 Buff Orpingtons that are (if my math is correct) 1 month younger than yours so I would be very curious to see how yours develop as a comparison :) It would help me figure out what I have. They're lovely little birds, I just adore them! Also, the photo of your son with the little Buff is adorable, great picture!

I have 15 chickies right now, the oldest are 6 weeks and the youngest are 2 days old. I too would love to get a Rooster out of the mix.

Back
Top Bottom