Aggressive 21 day old BobWhite quail!

Quaillvr

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
I can’t believe I have an or some aggressive baby quail. They are only 21 days old. I have 4 or 5 babies that had no prior injuries and now they have blood all over their beaks. I have to find the aggressive one(s) and set them free, but how? I will have to just sit and watch them for hours and then try to catch that particular one. YIKES! Just reinforces my feelings of moving on to a nicer breed of quail.

Higher protien makes them calmer, also bright lights can make them aggressive. try a low watt blue light. and dont crowd. more room more peace. and some mulched grass clippings will keep them busy and not have time for pecking

Higher protien makes them calmer, also bright lights can make them aggressive. try a low watt blue light. and dont crowd. more room more peace. and some mulched grass clippings will keep them busy and not have time for pecking
They are still in a brooder for gosh sakes! No light at all except for natural light. They are not even 3 weeks old. I haven’t even put them out to pen, not even sure if they are fully feathered yet. I gave them a bunch of food and worms hoping that will help. Moved the poor bloody babies to a hospital box.

They are still in a brooder for gosh sakes! No light at all except for natural light. They are not even 3 weeks old. I haven’t even put them out to pen, not even sure if they are fully feathered yet. I gave them a bunch of food and worms hoping that will help. Moved the poor bloody babies to a hospital box.

It’s most likely a crowding issue. Bobwhites aren’t naturally mean birds. They just have more wild instinct to forage and explore. Without the space and mental enrichment, they go mad and turn on each other.

Back
Top Bottom