aggressive cockerel, fake broody? and hens targeting eggs

cifsu

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2023
hey! I just started raising/taking care of chickens. I’ve got a small flock of 4 (1 cockerel, 2 hens and a pullet around his age). sorry that this is real long lol

Haven’t had any problems with overbreeding so i’m not really worrying about that. My cockerel treats his hens well (besides forced breeding sometimes :/) and the hens don’t seem stressed. They friendzoned him ig. My new pullet was overbred and bullied by the chickens in her old flock, saddle feathers are gone, she’s got a wound on her back and her feathers are all messed up on her wings too. she’s nervous around the other chickens, especially my cockerel Menace, but they leave her alone to “brood” on their eggs. Menace only bred with her a few times, he hasn’t injured her and she squats probably out of stress(?) so that might be the main reason he’s bred with her. (I’ll get a saddle for her soon.) Other than that, he just watches her and stays close to her if she leaves the coop. so far all birds seem fine.

My only problem with my
cockerel (who i raised) is after he reached maturity he’s gotten aggressive. He pecked all of us on our legs, bit my hand twice and dances at me every time he sees me. I don’t know how to deal with him, i don’t want to get rid of him and he only bites occasionally, mainly if i reach my hand out to him or he feels like it. He hasn’t bitten me or my family in a while but i’m sure he’ll try again. he’s a good cockerel and knows basic commands (i tell him to leave the pullet alone and he gets out, he comes over when called lol) and i really like him he’s just mean now. That’s basically it for him. Just wanna know how to knock him down a notch. I’ve tried holding him like a football and on the ground but he still dances and glares at my hand ready to bite.

Now, my two hens, Chito and Bucky, lay in the same nest that the pullet sits in. there’s two spots but they all lay in one. Before i got this pullet, the eggs were fine. the hens lay at separate times and have been together for a few months already. Chito’s eggs are different colors and Bucky lays cream eggs. they haven’t eaten each others eggs at all. My new pullet lays green/blue/off white eggs. the first two eggs were blue and green. I left the blue egg in the coop since she’s sitting on them (not broody though) and the next day it was gone. Thought rats got to it but the other eggs were fine and Bucky was eating the shell on the ground so… yea. Next time she laid the green one, i left it, the hens ate it again. Yolk on the leaves, no egg to be found. I took out the white one she laid today. Why are they targeting her eggs? Is it because she’s the new hen? they haven’t fought at all, only pecking her sometimes when it’s time to roost. like i said, they all leave her alone. they just eat her eggs! i don’t know when she’ll lay again, since they’ve probably eaten her eggs if she DID lay more before i get to them. Since she’s “brooding” i’m not taking out the other eggs, only hers.

And my last question: is she even broody?? she hasn’t gotten a brood patch, gets off the eggs when i bring treats or it’s time to sleep and isn’t acting broody. but the eggs are probably incubating since i cracked one she sat on a while ago and it looked like it had veins. is she faking it? why are the eggs still developing and will they even hatch? Really weird stuff

That’s basically it (for now lol) so yea, advice is appreciated!

Hand raised cockerels are much more likely to become aggressive, he will likely get worse. I'd be very careful with him if there are kids around because if he's trying you, he won't hesitate to attack anyone smaller.
What is your birds diet? Egg eating is caused by lack if protein, tight quarters, stress, boredom, etc
If you don't need chicks, gather your egg at least once a day. She could be only slightly broody and not full on broody, it's best to not leave eggs unless she's committed and old enough

Welcome to BYC. Strangely enough my hens will try and eat the green eggs, too, but that is because they have learned that they break more easily. I just put more hay in the nesting boxes, and collect the eggs super early so no one can step on one and break it by accident, then realize they can eat it.

There is a great article about egg eating on here if it continues to be a problem. I can try and find it for you tomorrow, but it wasn't coming right up for me now.

Just type "aggressive rooster" in the search at the top, you will find a bunch of info and suggestions. Basically, you have to try some things to get to a better place with him, see if they work, and then decide what you are willing to put up with. He doesn't sound like the worst that I have heard of, and maybe he will get better after the first flush of hormones, but there is always a chance he will get worse. :hmm

Do you have fake eggs in your nest boxes? Some folks even use golf balls. I use ceramic fake eggs, and leave them in the nest boxes all the time. That way if they get bored, they can peck the fake eggs and they won't crack, so the hens will leave the real eggs alone and not peck them. Also it tells them where to lay. They come in all colors. You can mark them with a pencil or something so you don't get confused - they are slightly lighter, so I can tell by weight.

Your pullet may be hanging out in the nest boxes because she feels safe and is hiding from the bigger chickens. Definitely get her a saddle! Also collect eggs several times a day if you can. Here's my favorite saddle - I love these!

https://www.amazon.com.au/DOWN-UNDER-OUTDOORS-Adjustable-Accessories/dp/B07PB4XGVS

Also, see if you can put more clutter in the run for her to hide behind or walk behind to get away and break the line of sight. Search this site for "A cluttered run", there's a few articles and many threads that can give you good ideas for run clutter.

hey! I just started raising/taking care of chickens. I’ve got a small flock of 4 (1 cockerel, 2 hens and a pullet around his age). sorry that this is real long lol

Haven’t had any problems with overbreeding so i’m not really worrying about that. My cockerel treats his hens well (besides forced breeding sometimes :/) and the hens don’t seem stressed. They friendzoned him ig. My new pullet was overbred and bullied by the chickens in her old flock, saddle feathers are gone, she’s got a wound on her back and her feathers are all messed up on her wings too. she’s nervous around the other chickens, especially my cockerel Menace, but they leave her alone to “brood” on their eggs. Menace only bred with her a few times, he hasn’t injured her and she squats probably out of stress(?) so that might be the main reason he’s bred with her. (I’ll get a saddle for her soon.) Other than that, he just watches her and stays close to her if she leaves the coop. so far all birds seem fine.

My only problem with my
cockerel (who i raised) is after he reached maturity he’s gotten aggressive. He pecked all of us on our legs, bit my hand twice and dances at me every time he sees me. I don’t know how to deal with him, i don’t want to get rid of him and he only bites occasionally, mainly if i reach my hand out to him or he feels like it. He hasn’t bitten me or my family in a while but i’m sure he’ll try again. he’s a good cockerel and knows basic commands (i tell him to leave the pullet alone and he gets out, he comes over when called lol) and i really like him he’s just mean now. That’s basically it for him. Just wanna know how to knock him down a notch. I’ve tried holding him like a football and on the ground but he still dances and glares at my hand ready to bite.

Now, my two hens, Chito and Bucky, lay in the same nest that the pullet sits in. there’s two spots but they all lay in one. Before i got this pullet, the eggs were fine. the hens lay at separate times and have been together for a few months already. Chito’s eggs are different colors and Bucky lays cream eggs. they haven’t eaten each others eggs at all. My new pullet lays green/blue/off white eggs. the first two eggs were blue and green. I left the blue egg in the coop since she’s sitting on them (not broody though) and the next day it was gone. Thought rats got to it but the other eggs were fine and Bucky was eating the shell on the ground so… yea. Next time she laid the green one, i left it, the hens ate it again. Yolk on the leaves, no egg to be found. I took out the white one she laid today. Why are they targeting her eggs? Is it because she’s the new hen? they haven’t fought at all, only pecking her sometimes when it’s time to roost. like i said, they all leave her alone. they just eat her eggs! i don’t know when she’ll lay again, since they’ve probably eaten her eggs if she DID lay more before i get to them. Since she’s “brooding” i’m not taking out the other eggs, only hers.

And my last question: is she even broody?? she hasn’t gotten a brood patch, gets off the eggs when i bring treats or it’s time to sleep and isn’t acting broody. but the eggs are probably incubating since i cracked one she sat on a while ago and it looked like it had veins. is she faking it? why are the eggs still developing and will they even hatch? Really weird stuff

That’s basically it (for now lol) so yea, advice is appreciated!
MAJOR UPDATE: sorry for no replies i don't really log in here much

the fake broody was just scared and probably traumatized by the original owner's rooster. i started taking her out and putting her in bushes till she started coming out on her own and now she stays with the others! she doesn't really mind my cockerel anymore and rarely squats and there's no bullying. her back is starting heal up and grow new feathers

The egg eating stopped pretty quickly. i guess they were targeting her eggs

I don't think my cockerel is is being aggressive. honestly not sure what he's doing. he doesn't attack me and only dances once he sees me after it's been a while. it's like hes a dog, following me around, always wanting to see what i'm doing and almost jumped the fence because he heard me come home. i don't know if the dancing is aggression or hes trying to court me since he tried to mount my hands/legs before and still tries till i tell him to stop. hes only flogged and chased everyone else like i said -_- hopefully he doesn't get aggressive

that's all, thank you all for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom