Aggressive White Leghorn Pullet in Mixed Flock

Tunie B

Songster
Oct 19, 2020
Last fall, my free chick from Meyer Hatchery (the “Meal Maker”) was a White Leghorn pullet. I usually pick breeds for friendliness and cool egg colors, but I liked her little fan tail and the fact that Leghorns apparently do well free-ranging (as mine do).

Betty Egg White is nearly 5 months old and I noticed she is being a bit more aggressive with me and other hens—when I picked up her hatch mate, a Speckled Sussex, Betty didn’t like it and pecked at my hands. I plan to lightly tap her on the back of the neck as another hen would—this worked for my Silver-Laced Wyandotte when she was a little too saucy.

However, I also noticed Betty pecking the feet of others near her on the roost, and this worries me as a long-term problem. I have several different roosts and a pretty large coop (an old cow shed I converted), but I also have ordered more friendly breeds for spring that she might target—Polish, a Silkie, and some Houdan/Silkie crosses (the Cookies and Cream hybrid from Meyer Hatchery).

Also—this might explain some problems I had when she was a chick. Betty was one of 9 chicks; the lavender Orpington was DOA, sadly. Once they were in the brooder, she tended to peck the others quite aggressively. I lost two Salmon Favorelles and a bantam Green Queen in the first week, and I always wondered if she stressed them further.

I don’t mind flighty, but I don’t want a mean girl in the flock. What are your experiences with Leghorns and bad behaviors like pecking? I’ve read nightmare things about Leghorns pecking at vents and causing injuries/death.

Attachments

• 1A0DDD37-CA39-4DC3-BB63-9C9EE3CEFDA5.jpeg
    1A0DDD37-CA39-4DC3-BB63-9C9EE3CEFDA5.jpeg
    667.6 KB · Views: 354
I should add that the Meal Maker is a surprise breed, and she was an extra surprise—the Meal Maker for hatch date 9-12-22 was listed as a Welsummer or Speckled Sussex. The customer service reps said she was likely a substitution.

My White Leghorn is a big attention whore lol. She is the first one to the gate and wants to be picked up. She will weave through my legs like a cat. Loves to be held. I have brown Leghorn as well that is not quite as friendly but she pretty much just minds her own and leaves everyone alone. Hopefully it is just a phase for your girl!

My White Leghorn is a big attention whore lol. She is the first one to the gate and wants to be picked up. She will weave through my legs like a cat. Loves to be held. I have brown Leghorn as well that is not quite as friendly but she pretty much just minds her own and leaves everyone alone. Hopefully it is just a phase for your girl!
That is great to hear! I hope so too. My Wyandotte turned out to be much friendlier after she started laying, so maybe Betty will chill, too!

Last fall, my free chick from Meyer Hatchery (the “Meal Maker”) was a White Leghorn pullet. I usually pick breeds for friendliness and cool egg colors, but I liked her little fan tail and the fact that Leghorns apparently do well free-ranging (as mine do).

Betty Egg White is nearly 5 months old and I noticed she is being a bit more aggressive with me and other hens—when I picked up her hatch mate, a Speckled Sussex, Betty didn’t like it and pecked at my hands. I plan to lightly tap her on the back of the neck as another hen would—this worked for my Silver-Laced Wyandotte when she was a little too saucy.

However, I also noticed Betty pecking the feet of others near her on the roost, and this worries me as a long-term problem. I have several different roosts and a pretty large coop (an old cow shed I converted), but I also have ordered more friendly breeds for spring that she might target—Polish, a Silkie, and some Houdan/Silkie crosses (the Cookies and Cream hybrid from Meyer Hatchery).

Also—this might explain some problems I had when she was a chick. Betty was one of 9 chicks; the lavender Orpington was DOA, sadly. Once they were in the brooder, she tended to peck the others quite aggressively. I lost two Salmon Favorelles and a bantam Green Queen in the first week, and I always wondered if she stressed them further.

I don’t mind flighty, but I don’t want a mean girl in the flock. What are your experiences with Leghorns and bad behaviors like pecking? I’ve read nightmare things about Leghorns pecking at vents and causing injuries/death.
That’s what I have and she’s being aggressive with my other ones like she’s the boss?

My white leghorn doesn’t want anything to do with me she runs and squaks at me. And is mean to the others 🤷‍♀️

That’s what I have and she’s being aggressive with my other ones like she’s the boss?
She’s definitely one of the top girls in the flock! I will say that things have settled down more since our nice rooster has settled in. I also have been handling Betty regularly at night and she has been much calmer about it. Now that they have the pecking order more established and they free-range all day, I don’t worry as much—I hope things work out for your crew, too!

She’s definitely one of the top girls in the flock! I will say that things have settled down more since our nice rooster has settled in. I also have been handling Betty regularly at night and she has been much calmer about it. Now that they have the pecking order more established and they free-range all day, I don’t worry as much—I hope things work out for your crew, too!
Betty is a rooster or hen? Mine is Baby girl and she won’t even let me pick her up though when I do catch her lol I hold her close to be so she feels safe and she eventually calms down.

Back
Top Bottom