Reputation of White Leghorn hens?

Robert Kazlauski

Chirping
Nov 9, 2023
I have 4 docile hens: buff orpington, back australorp, blue laced red wyandotte, and an EE. I would like to get a white hen just to add color to my flock. I hear that White Leghorn roosters are noisy and aggressive. I live in the suburbs and dont want to upset me neighbors. Are WL hens also noisy and aggressive? Do they fly high? How high? What would you recommend?

I have 4 docile hens: buff orpington, back australorp, blue laced red wyandotte, and an EE. I would like to get a white hen just to add color to my flock. I hear that White Leghorn roosters are noisy and aggressive. I live in the suburbs and dont want to upset me neighbors. Are WL hens also noisy and aggressive? Do they fly high? How high? What would you recommend?
I didn’t find mine aggressive or noisy or even flighty like some say. Mine was curious and confident. My Delaware on the other hand was SO loud so I don’t recommend one of those lol both were excellent layers though. You could also try a White Rock. I highly recommend the Leghorn though. Mine was extremely friendly and social. And very productive. And my EE and Delaware were way louder than her hahah

my white leghorn hen is the quietest of the bunch. She rarely makes any noise. Also, anecdotally, Im currently working on integrating some new pullets into the flock and so far my leghorn is the ONLY one who doesn't seem to care. She hasn't attacked or bullied them in anyway. She was super flighty up until the point of lay (couldn't get near her), but once she started laying she become the most docile one. I really enjoy having her in the bunch!

Want to add - I wouldn't recommend adding just one chicken to an already established flock. 3 would be my minimum. You'd be shocked how your sweet birds can suddenly turn into brutal bullies with new pullets.

I didn’t find mine aggressive or noisy or even flighty like some say. Mine was curious and confident. My Delaware on the other hand was SO loud so I don’t recommend one of those lol both were excellent layers though. You could also try a White Rock. I highly recommend the Leghorn though. Mine was extremely friendly and social. And very productive. And my EE and Delaware were way louder than her hahah
So, would most of the WL hens bother neighbors?

my white leghorn hen is the quietest of the bunch. She rarely makes any noise. Also, anecdotally, Im currently working on integrating some new pullets into the flock and so far my leghorn is the ONLY one who doesn't seem to care. She hasn't attacked or bullied them in anyway. She was super flighty up until the point of lay (couldn't get near her), but once she started laying she become the most docile one. I really enjoy having her in the bunch!

Want to add - I wouldn't recommend adding just one chicken to an already established flock. 3 would be my minimum. You'd be shocked how your sweet birds can suddenly turn into brutal bullies with new pullets.
Yes, I was planning maybe 2 ISA browns as well.

I didn’t find mine aggressive or noisy or even flighty like some say. Mine was curious and confident…..I highly recommend the Leghorn though. Mine was extremely friendly and social. And very productive.
My experience with WL is the same. Before they hit laying age they can be a bit cautious, but once they lay they are the sweetest birds. Mine will hop in my lap for cuddles. I won’t have a flock without at least 2 or 3 WL.

Back
Top Bottom