Reputation of White Leghorn hens?

I had one white leghorn, Whitey... she had the sweetest voice, was chatty but not loud, just talking. I used to live in a neighbourhood with very small gardens ( about 700 square foot) and we had neighbours in apartement buildings on all sides, but I never worried about her, she was very quiet, as was our other chicken, a isabrown. The 2 hens I had begore her were also Isabrowns and one was loud as hell, I worried al the time about the neighboirs... Nobody complained but still, I myself are very sensitive about noice... She was flighty in the beginning but I just approached her very calm and slowly kneeled down on her level, and she became very friendly, she trusted me completely, even so that I could take her on a car ride, drive for 6 hours, take her out of the car in a completely strange garden and she was totaly fine... Began eating and scratching right where I put her... She walked everywere with me and listened when I said where she had to go if there was danger.
She sat on my lap every day, sometimes for hours and she gave cuddles like a chick does with her mother.
When her flockmate died she didn't realy care but I got her a new one, a light Sussex, Suzy.
At first she would peck at her feet, and it took about 2 months before she dare sleep or sandbathe with her, but she never tried to drive her away from food or water and after Suzy was accepted she was realy nice, she was boss but never mean.

One of my white leghorn pullets Spunky is very chatty and her sister Sugar is more quiet

Sugar laid her first egg today. Snowy is my adult hen she is very friendly but a sudden movement will make her jump slightly. They like to fly on high things.

I have 4 docile hens: buff orpington, back australorp, blue laced red wyandotte, and an EE. I would like to get a white hen just to add color to my flock. I hear that White Leghorn roosters are noisy and aggressive. I live in the suburbs and dont want to upset me neighbors. Are WL hens also noisy and aggressive? Do they fly high? How high? What would you recommend?
Delaware chickens are great white chickens. Docile, friendly, and not loud. They do however fly pretty high. I have a 6 foot run that was partially covered and they were able to fly over it until I covered it fully. I hope this helps!

I started out with 10 white leghorns years ago but sadly I have 3 remaining. They are not loud and let me pick them up anytime but they are lower on the pecking order. Because they lay a lot of eggs year round, they seem to be more susceptible to diseases. So for that reason I may not get anymore leghorns. I have lost more leghorns than any other chicken breed. I do have a light Ameraucana and Prairie Bluebell chicken that I rarely get to hold. They are very skittish and fast. Good luck!

Leghorns are egg laying machines. I would have to agree that there life span is shorter than average and they are targets because of their color. They are not cuddly chickens as a norm, but my favorite because of the amount of eggs they put out.

I started out with 10 white leghorns years ago but sadly I have 3 remaining. They are not loud and let me pick them up anytime but they are lower on the pecking order. Because they lay a lot of eggs year round, they seem to be more susceptible to diseases. So for that reason I may not get anymore leghorns. I have lost more leghorns than any other chicken breed. I do have a light Ameraucana and Prairie Bluebell chicken that I rarely get to hold. They are very skittish and fast. Good luck!
Brown leghorns are considered a heritage breed and aren't bred to lay commercially. They're robust, alert, good layers and foragers and above all a friendly backyard chicken.Mine have had no issues whatsoever and are economical to feed due to their size

I have 4 docile hens: buff orpington, back australorp, blue laced red wyandotte, and an EE. I would like to get a white hen just to add color to my flock. I hear that White Leghorn roosters are noisy and aggressive. I live in the suburbs and dont want to upset me neighbors. Are WL hens also noisy and aggressive? Do they fly high? How high? What would you recommend?
I’ve had white leg horn hens before. I’ve found them to be quite scatty and busy all the time. They lay beautiful eggs and don’t get bothered by other hens. The ones I had were non aggressive and usually had a sole mate with quieter hens. Lovely, comical girls. Hope this is helpful

Delaware chickens are great white chickens. Docile, friendly, and not loud. They do however fly pretty high. I have a 6 foot run that was partially covered and they were able to fly over it until I covered it fully. I hope this helps!
Maybe it was just mine but my Delaware was extremely loud lol agree with the rest though.

Yes, I was planning maybe 2 ISA browns as well.
I highly recommend the ISA browns. They are the best layers and very large eggs. They are also a docile breed. Well, I have 7 ISA's and one RR. When I first got them I had 3 black australorp (sp), 3 barred rock, and two RR. They integrated well with some bullying from the barred rocks.

Back
Top Bottom