Agressive cockerel

chickychucky

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2016
Hi, I have a cockerel which I hatched from an egg. We have four hens one of which I hatched too. He is very aggressive when you pick up a hen. Also, when I caught an escaped hen a put her back in the run, he went crazy and started chasing the hen around the run. He is still quite young and is about 9 months old. Will he grow out of it? He's bigger than the average cockerel and is quite scary now.

There is never a good reason to keep a bad rooster. If you think he is scary now - he will probably get much worse. There are so many good roosters looking for homes because they are not allowed in many areas. It's a buyers market - with even show & breeding quality at very reasonable prices. Many people do not even keep roosters anymore unless they need "fertile" eggs to sell or hatch. Hens are very happy without a roo and will continue to lay the same amount of eggs albeit non-fertile.

Hi chickychucky!
welcome-byc.gif

I have had an aggressive rooster before. He would attack not only people, he also attacked one of our older roosters very badly.
I was thinking about getting rid of him but he was so beautiful that I had to try something! I started to show him who's boss, he then soon got over it. You should try that.

welcome-byc.gif

I agree with drumstick diva...there's no reason to keep an aggressive rooster. Not only could he severely hurt another bird or a human, you don't want to pass those traits down through offspring. Unless you need fertile eggs, I'd recommend getting rid of him.

I agree that getting rid of him is the easiest answer - they can be more of a pain (literally) than they are worth. If you wish to have fertile eggs, i would suggest buying them and setting them.

CT

Thanks, he is a very handsome cockerel and is good at protecting the hens and their eggs. One of the hens has really nice eggs and is a mixed breed so I can't get another hen like her and I was thinking of breeding her. I will try to get him used to me handling the hens but if he carries on, I will get rid of him.
1f60a.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom