Agressive Rooster and pepper spray

To me, using pepper spray would be extremely cruel and inappropriate used against ANY domestic animal in my care. Can easily burn and blind.

A number of old threads describe rooster training techniques using natural chicken dominance behaviors that helped my with my rooster tremendously. That said, at age 4 this spring, he suddenly started acting up after being good for a long time, so I repeated the following techniques just today. I think he's feeling very full of himself and the hormones are flowing, but I quickly adjusted his attitude.

Here's what worked for me, and if you search you'll find old threads and maybe even a website with much more info. This presumes you have some physical strength agility and experience working with roosters and animals.

The idea is to teach your roo that being in your reach is a bad idea and always a losing proposition.

1) Wear very heavy long-sleeved clothing, leather gloves, and eye protection.

2) When the roo starts acting aggressive, acting quickly, press him down to the ground on his back down for several seconds until he relaxes and gives up (only push as hard as necessary - minimize the pressure so he doesn't fight and you aren't hurting him). This includes pinning his head/neck to the ground (very gently). This is a natural way of establishing chicken dominance, something like what the roo does when he mounts a hen, but may take repeated efforts over a few days. Don't cause him difficulty breathing or harm his legs or feet. YOu are not hurting him, just immobilizing.

You just want to get him in the subordinate position and to get him to "give up" and relax ASAP. So don't push down too hard. Let go as soon as he gives up.

3) After he relaxes and you release him, walk slowly after him, even into him. If he doesn't move away, repeat the dominance exercise - push him to the ground and hold. When he relaxes, hopefully after only a couple of seconds, release to reward the behavior. Then walk toward him. Teach him to walk away from you -- or he will be dominated. He should quickly learn to stay out of your range.

4) Alternatively, pick him up and hold him upside down by the legs for a couple of seconds, then lay him down on his side or back and dominate for a few seconds. Again, teach him to walk away from you or he'll be upside down.

Wearing bright colors can certainly set mine off like clockwork. He doesn't recognize me in unusual colors or shoes. I think he's a good roo just trying to defend his hens. Not the brightest bulb in the pack.

Please do some searches on training roosters and you may find some help that will not be painful to the roo and that will help keep you and your family safely enjoying your chickens.

Of course, each animal is different and what works on one may not work on anther. Many people seem to disagree that any rooster can be trained, but other people have success -- not by petting, bribing, or hurting. Kicking, hitting, beating, etc. seem to bring forth violence.

The "push-down" method leverages natural chicken dominance behaviors. Good luck if you give it a try.

Aside from what everyone else has said about what strategies might be better, pepper spray is just not going to work. Birds can't detect the spicy compound in peppers.

Aside from what everyone else has said about what strategies might be better, pepper spray is just not going to work. Birds can't detect the spicy compound in peppers.

Scientific proof or studies to back that up?
To me, using pepper spray would be extremely cruel and inappropriate used against ANY domestic animal in my care. Can easily burn and blind.

A number of old threads describe rooster training techniques using natural chicken dominance behaviors that helped my with my rooster tremendously. That said, at age 4 this spring, he suddenly started acting up after being good for a long time, so I repeated the following techniques just today. I think he's feeling very full of himself and the hormones are flowing, but I quickly adjusted his attitude.

Here's what worked for me, and if you search you'll find old threads and maybe even a website with much more info. This presumes you have some physical strength agility and experience working with roosters and animals.

The idea is to teach your roo that being in your reach is a bad idea and always a losing proposition.

1) Wear very heavy long-sleeved clothing, leather gloves, and eye protection.

2) When the roo starts acting aggressive, acting quickly, press him down to the ground on his back down for several seconds until he relaxes and gives up (only push as hard as necessary - minimize the pressure so he doesn't fight and you aren't hurting him). This includes pinning his head/neck to the ground (very gently). This is a natural way of establishing chicken dominance, something like what the roo does when he mounts a hen, but may take repeated efforts over a few days. Don't cause him difficulty breathing or harm his legs or feet. YOu are not hurting him, just immobilizing.

You just want to get him in the subordinate position and to get him to "give up" and relax ASAP. So don't push down too hard. Let go as soon as he gives up.

3) After he relaxes and you release him, walk slowly after him, even into him. If he doesn't move away, repeat the dominance exercise - push him to the ground and hold. When he relaxes, hopefully after only a couple of seconds, release to reward the behavior. Then walk toward him. Teach him to walk away from you -- or he will be dominated. He should quickly learn to stay out of your range.

4) Alternatively, pick him up and hold him upside down by the legs for a couple of seconds, then lay him down on his side or back and dominate for a few seconds. Again, teach him to walk away from you or he'll be upside down.

Wearing bright colors can certainly set mine off like clockwork. He doesn't recognize me in unusual colors or shoes. I think he's a good roo just trying to defend his hens. Not the brightest bulb in the pack.

Please do some searches on training roosters and you may find some help that will not be painful to the roo and that will help keep you and your family safely enjoying your chickens.

Of course, each animal is different and what works on one may not work on anther. Many people seem to disagree that any rooster can be trained, but other people have success -- not by petting, bribing, or hurting. Kicking, hitting, beating, etc. seem to bring forth violence.

The "push-down" method leverages natural chicken dominance behaviors. Good luck if you give it a try.

If your roosters burned and blind perhaps he won't attack you.

Having had roosters who were bred for temperament, I have a slightly different opinion of handling them. I do not believe that handling or not handling has anything to do with creating aggression toward humans. What I do believe is that it brings their innate nature to the surface more quickly. If it's not in his DNA to be human aggressive, handling him will not change that. If it is, then he will surely think of you as being at his level and be comfortable challenging you and taking you on when his hormones kick in if you've been cuddling him and making him a big pet.

ALL my males are handled as chicks. I need them to be easy to handle and catch so they are never ignored. When they get older and are watching out for hens, of course I do not go scoop them up just to pet them--they're on duty and must be allowed to do that duty without someone deciding it's time to cuddle. Almost every single male out of my Delaware rooster has been easygoing around people. They are all handled and petted as chicks up until they are older and even then, they get a chest scratch from time to time to make sure they still allow it without much protest. They simply cannot be aggressive here or they don't stay.

On another note, it's also my considered opinion that aggression goes with lack of intelligence. The smarter roosters don't seem to bite/flog the hand that they know feeds them. The ones who are just ridiculously dumb never learn to be anything but wary of you and still harbor enough aggression after all your attempts to "fix" them that one day, they will find their chance and take it again. JMHO.

Oops, sorry, I stand corrected regarding bird eye physiology. However, pepper spray can indeed permanently damage mammalian eye tissue and is quite painful, as you know if you have ever been sprayed.

I did find this authority supporting bird insensitivity:

"...Russ Mason, an expert on chemical repellents, whether birds are affected by capsaicin. Here's his reply: 'No--the ethmoid branch of the trigeminal nerve innervates the eyes, nose, and oral cavity. This is the nerve responsible for mediation of chemical irritation. There is no evidence that birds code capsaicin (red pepper) as an irritant at concentrations as high as 20,000 ppm (the hottest chili is about 2,000 ppm). Mammals like squirrels (rats, mice) reject capsicum concentrations as low as 1-10 ppm." In other words, birds are insensitive to red pepper, period. They could be irritated by excessive dust, however. Robert H. Schmidt, Associate Professor, Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife, Utah State University.

So given that pepper spray isn't painful to birds, back to the OP's question: is anyone really finding pepper spray is an effective way to train their roosters?

Several methods can be helpful, not al the time or for everyone. Mother Earth News and various blogs have tips on training roos.

Let me just say this: if you shoot a rooster full in the face with pepper spray, be prepared for him to keel over dead. Birds are very sensitive to inhaled aromatics and those can kill them quickly so a snoot full of that may just eliminate the bird on the spot. They can eat hot peppers all day long, but to be shot in the eyes and up the nares would be a different story. There are better ways of dealing with an attacking rooster. Considering that most backyard flock folks generally don't want an aggressive rooster at all, why not just "man up" and execute the bird quickly and painlessly and be done with it? JMHO.

Last edited:
Let me just say this: if you shoot a rooster full in the face with pepper spray, be prepared for him to keel over dead. Birds are very sensitive to inhaled aromatics and those can kill them quickly so a snoot full of that may just eliminate the bird on the spot. They can eat hot peppers all day long, but to be shot in the eyes and up the nares would be a different story. There are better ways of dealing with an attacking rooster. Considering that most backyard flock folks generally don't want an aggressive rooster at all, why not just "man up" and execute the bird quickly and painlessly and be done with it? JMHO.
Because some people don't want to cull their precious rooster.

Back
Top Bottom