At wits end with biting chickens...

Pics

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
I have 3 six-month old chickens (Ginger - Golden Comet, Pepper & Mushroom - Black Australorps).

Ginger has always been a biter. Not in a mean way, but more exploratory/treat related. I've followed the advice on this forum, but can't seem to break her of it. She's behaved this way before and after laying eggs.

Pepper has had a slight aggression issue with rakes/poop scoops. Once in a while she'll get wound up and start posturing/attacking while I'm cleaning up. It mostly happens if I nudge her with the rake in an attempt to move her (as you know, they're constantly underfoot). I've also had issues where I've needed to work in their run, and Pepper will be RIGHT THERE trying to nip at me and whatever I'm doing. I'll gently nudge her away, and she starts posturing to fight. I peck her on the back/head, and while she initially runs away, she comes right back to continue the confrontation.

This all came to a head today. Ginger bit my leg, so I immediately started to correct her with back pecks. Pepper did not like that, and flew at me like a freaking rooster. Bit my hand and drew blood. I tried to pin her down, but she would NOT submit so I backed off rather than risk hurting her. I will add that she just started laying eggs 2 days ago.

I feel like total crap. Pepper is sweet 95% of the time, and even enjoys being pet on the belly. I don't know what else to do. Any advice, criticism, or "that happened to me too"s are appreciated.

Mine haven't attacked me (and they are underfoot when I'm working around them but just curious). But early on when I had problems with any of them being aggressive with each other (bullying or dominance getting out of hand as the new flock sorted things out), I carried a water gun and gave the offender a big squirt in the face when she started after her intended victim. After several blasts over a few days, the behavior stopped; possibly the heirarchy settled out and relative peace reigned, but it stopped the violence and feather-pulling. Might work in your case?

Mine haven't attacked me (and they are underfoot when I'm working around them but just curious). But early on when I had problems with any of them being aggressive with each other (bullying or dominance getting out of hand as the new flock sorted things out), I carried a water gun and gave the offender a big squirt in the face when she started after her intended victim. After several blasts over a few days, the behavior stopped; possibly the heirarchy settled out and relative peace reigned, but it stopped the violence and feather-pulling. Might work in your case?
That's something I could try once the weather warms up. I really like it as an option for Ginger. Thanks for the suggestion 🙂

That's something I could try once the weather warms up. I really like it as an option for Ginger. Thanks for the suggestion 🙂
Maybe fill the gun with warm water? 😉 😁 Most of it rolls right off their feathers; they just REALLY didn't like it! But it's no doubt a lot colder now in NH than here (days in 50s, nights in 30s, no frost just yet.)

They mellow once they have been laying for a while.

Sometimes to keep my flock out of the way I close them in the coop if I need to tend things in the run.
100%. We don't have a great holding pen setup right now, so I need to fix that asap (Omlet coop doesn't help).

Really hoping she chills out like you said. I can tell the egg hormones have gone to her head!

100%. We don't have a great holding pen setup right now, so I need to fix that asap (Omlet coop doesn't help).

Really hoping she chills out like you said. I can tell the egg hormones have gone to her head!

My oddball is named PC. It stands for Pretty Cranky. She is mellowing out now that she has been laying for 3 months. Initially she would run at me neck flared out stopping just out of reach. Even my cockerel is scared of her. I won't be hatching any of her eggs.

Lately she just paces on the roost as I gather eggs and refill the feeder.

What is your current pen like? Space constraints may be making her feel threatened more easily.

If you need to build a run quickly a hoop run is the fastest I know of. There are a lot of great hoop run pages in the articles section.

My oddball is named PC. It stands for Pretty Cranky. She is mellowing out now that she has been laying for 3 months. Initially she would run at me neck flared out stopping just out of reach. Even my cockerel is scared of her. I won't be hatching any of her eggs.

Lately she just paces on the roost as I gather eggs and refill the feeder.

What is your current pen like? Space constraints may be making her feel threatened more easily.

If you need to build a run quickly a hoop run is the fastest I know of. There are a lot of great hoop run pages in the articles section.
That's a great name! 😆 PC definitely sounds more escalated than Pepper, so if she's coming around that gives me hope.

Right now, 3 are sharing the 9x12 covered run (I'll attach a photo). The plan is to give them an additional 9x9 extension in the spring, and hopefully a supervised "outdoor" space. Hoop runs are really interesting, and I like how the roof will likely shed snow/rain better than our existing setup.

IMG_5939.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom