Air quality alert! Will my chickens be ok??

May 30, 2022
I have four sapphire gem chickens (a little over a year old) and we love in Philadelphia, PA. As I’m sure many other are, we are effected by the wild fire smoke blowing from Canada- in the last few days there have been air quality alerts and the air is kind of hazy and smells badly. I can’t believe I haven’t considered this as a big problem to my chickens sooner and am worried. I haven’t seen them acting any different but will post and changes. Our home isn’t really set up to have them I side but I suppose I could figure something out if dire. Should I be very concerned and will I need to treat them?? I read birds are sensitive to air quality but what can I do to help them? I don’t know ho other people are dealing with this but wondering what steps you all are taking.

Thank you.

Smoky air can injure a chicken's respiratory system, but unless you have an air purifier, there isn't much you can do.

Smoky air will cause stress, so if you had electrolytes to their water with a little added sugar, that can help with the stress so they will be less affected.
Ok, thank you very much I will try electrolytes. I do have an air purifier that I could put in the run and near the coop.

I have four sapphire gem chickens (a little over a year old) and we love in Philadelphia, PA. As I’m sure many other are, we are effected by the wild fire smoke blowing from Canada- in the last few days there have been air quality alerts and the air is kind of hazy and smells badly. I can’t believe I haven’t considered this as a big problem to my chickens sooner and am worried. I haven’t seen them acting any different but will post and changes. Our home isn’t really set up to have them I side but I suppose I could figure something out if dire. Should I be very concerned and will I need to treat them?? I read birds are sensitive to air quality but what can I do to help them? I don’t know ho other people are dealing with this but wondering what steps you all are taking.

Thank you.
i'm wondering the same thing! In South Jersey

Back
Top Bottom