Air quality alert! Will my chickens be ok??

I am in PA, also smack middle in that bad spot. We evacuated our 3 birds inside. Cleaning up poops about every half hour šŸ’©šŸ˜„Tomorrow it is supposed to be better. They are older, so I want to be on the safe side.

Attachments

• IMG-20230608-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20230608-WA0013.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 1
We are now considered in the "unhealthy" zone for our air. I am also wondering if they need to come inside. It was also quite hot today so I had some open mouth breathing, or at least I assumed that was why.

We are now considered in the "unhealthy" zone for our air. I am also wondering if they need to come inside. It was also quite hot today so I had some open mouth breathing, or at least I assumed that was why.
I put mine in when it had the dangerous warning. I often have an "unhealthy" warning in my area. I figure when I see smoke/dust in the air and it smells smoky, it is time to evacuate. When it is hot/humid they do open mouth breathing- especially the heavy breeds. My buffies did. I always have a bucket with cool water ready in case they overheat. When they breath with open beak, wing feathers are away from body and pale waddles, combs - it is time to cool off in bucket. Not just feet. I do up to breast high. I had that happen one time. Since then consider lots of shade. I have my run covered with shade cloth with 90 ish % block out. I planted butterfly bushes, cat mint, horseradish plants, forsythia (all chickenproof) in the run. They love to sit under the plants. Especially under the horse radish, it got huge leaves. Since then I observe less heat stress.

If it's really bad, if your eyes are watering and your chest is tight signalling a high air particulate, then you would do well to put your chickens into their coop with the air purifier going. You should remain indoors as well and keep activity to a bare minimum.
It is bad here as well. I will try to give the chickenā€™s electrolytes. I hope they make it- we are in the dangerous air - so harmful for all people. I have farm cats struggling too. They still are outside- we do the best we can.
My lungs struggle- I go out in short spurts.

Yeppers! When I was busy moving the birds inside, my eyes were burning and my chest was absolutely getting tight. Then our numbers went even higher!? I'm glad I brought them in when I did, and I ordered a couple air purifiers for the house.
Where are you keeping these birds in the house?
I think if I had a basement- I would try that. It is just not healthy for us to keep them inside. The dust and dander would cause my lungs more distress. Lots of animals are outside. Pray for rain! Lots of rain for Canada and usā€¦ that should help.

It's horrible here in NYC i'm so worried about my girls but theres nothing I can do it scary how bad it looks and smells.
How bad is it by you? Is it getting better yet? I am in Wisconsin and we just started getting some bad reports on air quality up in the 200s on my weather app. One chicken was spinning in circles. Weird

Where are you keeping these birds in the house?
I think if I had a basement- I would try that. It is just not healthy for us to keep them inside. The dust and dander would cause my lungs more distress. Lots of animals are outside. Pray for rain! Lots of rain for Canada and usā€¦ that should help.
Yes, we have a walkout basement, so it makes it easy to bring them in from the backyard, if need be. I know it's not feasible for everyone, so don't beat yourself up. Most people wouldn't have any other option except trust, and remember - this too shall pass. ā¤ļø Hang in there

Back
Top Bottom