Alabama

tobylowe1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 28, 2012
Alabama
I'm in North West Alabama and North Central Alabama. Florence and Huntsville to be exact. Nice to meet you all. I know this is not probaby the best place to put this but Ill give it a shot. Told the pullets were a RI Red and a Black Austrulap. I know I just butchered that name. The baby chick we were told is an Amerucana. It does have greenish legs. Any thoughts on breed and sex?The larger black one lost a few feathers from a bird of prey attack. I always order from a hatchery so I've never had to ask. These were just for fun so we picked the most gentle of the bunch.

I'm in North West Alabama and North Central Alabama. Florence and Huntsville to be exact. Nice to meet you all. I know this is not probaby the best place to put this but Ill give it a shot. Told the pullets were a RI Red and a Black Austrulap. I know I just butchered that name. The baby chick we were told is an Amerucana. It does have greenish legs. Any thoughts on breed and sex?The larger black one lost a few feathers from a bird of prey attack. I always order from a hatchery so I've never had to ask. These were just for fun so we picked the most gentle of the bunch.

They both look like crosses to me, not a Rhode Island Red or Australorp. For now, both look like pullets to me. Can't tell on the little one, could be an Easter egger (Commonly called Ameracauna). In our parts (I'm in east central MS, have family though around the Tuscaloosa area) it seems pretty common to call birds whatever their parent was even if it is a cross, I've seen people call a bird a "Rhode Island Red" because it looked more like their father which truthfully I would have called a New Hampshire red. But I know for a fact their mother was American Game crossed with Shamo/possibly a little Thai blood.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Thanks Daniel, I'm new as I said in my post. I've raised these 5 babies and they are now 15 or 16 days old today. It's not been too much work but I think I should have waited on the order of four mystery brown laying hens that are coming on the 5th or 6th. Only because it's getting cold outside. I wanted chickens that would be laying early in the spring and it looks like i'm going to have them. I have four red comets and one white leghorns along with these older pullets. Then Ill have the four mystery chicks in November. Can't wait to get them outside. I am like you and think those older chickens are a mix of two breeds or even a mix of a mix. Don't care, I just picked out the most docile of the flock. I traded two very tame, very gentle Rhodle Island Reds that were old for them. They loved sitting on eggs so the lady wanted them to raised chicks. They were not earning their keep here. lol Have a great day in Mississippi

Joseph

Back
Top Bottom