All about garden herbs

I try to keep all my mint (spearmint and pineapple mint) in containers since it can be invasive. However I've noticed that the plants start to look ragged after the first year. They are never as lush and full. By year 3,they look even sorrier. Doesn't matter if I give them lots of compost or even Miracle Grow. So I'm wondering if I need to generally reseed my mints every year just to propagate for poor regeneration.

Thoughts?

I have a pot with spearmint buried in my garden and it managed to escape. in winter it grows well but we have no or very little frost.

I have a pot with spearmint buried in my garden and it managed to escape. in winter it grows well but we have no or very little frost.
Mine grew wonderful the first year. I just have to figure out what is keeping it from flourishing like that... I'm wondering if it is root bound like someone suggested...?

U got any pics of yours?
I'll try to get some of mine tomorrow...mine are from seed this year and just look stringy...not full at all.
Here's a picture of the spearmint. Despite feeding it and adding compost, it just looks leggy and straggly. I'm not sure what to do with it... :confused:

20220917_101301.jpg

BTW, this pot was full to the brim with spearmint the first year. I started it with one small plant and it quickly took over the whole planter which is an 18" or 2 ft planter.

Here's a picture of the spearmint. Despite feeding it and adding compost, it just looks leggy and straggly. I'm not sure what to do with it... :confused:

View attachment 3262943

BTW, this pot was full to the brim with spearmint the first year. I started it with one small plant and it quickly took over the whole planter which is an 18" or 2 ft planter.

mine look like that now due to heat. as soon as the temperature gets down it will start growing new leaves. I usually cut it down almost to the roots.

Anyone grow an herb and then decide you don't want /need it anymore?

I have realized that some of the stuff I'm growing I simply never actually use.... Like lemongrass and lemon balm. I really want to make essential oils with these but I never seem to actually DO it so I'm just wasting space.

Wondering if anyone else has grown something and then later regretted it?

Back
Top Bottom