All chicks DOA via USPS, what now?

Melo1081

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 30, 2012
Hi all,

My first ever order of chicks through Mcmurray of 25 Cornish X arrived today. I didn't even know Sunday was possible for USPS but you learn something everyday. All 28 chicks were DOA. Some are already decomposing in the box. I'm obviously a bit bothered by this.

I blame USPS entirely as the chicks were shipped on Wednesday by McMurray. I had called my post office on Thursday advising them that chicks would be coming. They did not seem pleased. Aggravated would be my description.

I am going to call McMurray first thing tomorrow morning about the order. Does anyone know if it's possible to have them either
A: shipped via UPS with next or 2nd day air and held at a UPS facility for pickup or
B: sent to a different post office near me that I trust more?

Any advice at all for dealing with Mcmurray or shipping is GREATLY appreciated. I'm trying to deal with going from being so so excited to the feeling we got when seeing the contents of the box in just an instant.

This stinks.

PS. I am not upset at either McMurray or the USPS as there is no way I can know what happened wrong. I just want to minimize the risk of it happening again.

Also FYI I live in eastern North Carolina where it is plenty warm right now.

If you haven't tossed them, I would keep them in the fridge or freezer and DEFINITELY contact your post office/post master and show them. That is absolutely unacceptable. It's fine if they don't like chicks in the mail, but that isn't appropriate handling of livestock. They should be able to track the shipment and advise where the holdup is, and handle that as needed.

My PO is great, but it's pretty rural out here and they often get chick orders. They call for pickup at 7am and will unlock the doors so you can get the chicks before they open.

Many hatcheries require you to open the box at the Post Office and have the Post Office fill out a claim form with the post office. I would check McMurry's web site for instructions to replace dead chicks. Matter of fct you should check that out when you order so you know what to do at the post office o n delivery day.

How horrible! I'm sorry. :( I know how exciting it is when those chicks come........ I hope you can find a solution and get some new chicks.

Many hatcheries require you to open the box at the Post Office and have the Post Office fill out a claim form with the post office. I would check McMurry's web site for instructions to replace dead chicks. Matter of fct you should check that out when you order so you know what to do at the post office o n delivery day.
jaj121159 has a good point. Not sure if this will help but here are a couple of pages:
The McMurray Guarantee

and

Contact Murray McMurray Hatchery

Regardless of how they are ordered, I'd think tracking numbers are provided, aren't they? Haven't ordered anything (animate/inanimate) that we haven't been able to keep up with, from time of pickup to estimated time of delivery from local PO, for the last few years.

Better luck on the next batch!

While I can't speak to the quality of McMurrays chicks yet I can say their customer service is great. I spoke to them this morning and the lady on the phone sounded more upset than I was. When I said they shipped on Wednesday and arrived on Sunday she sounded broken up when she said "oh no, are they all...gone?" She sounded pretty ****** at USPS that it took so long to get here but they still took full responsibility and will ship out a replacement batch with a few extra for no cost. She was also really surprised that it was 100% mortality. She said one or two happens all the time but a full batch is extremely rare. I tend to believe that as it would be terrible cost for them to have to constantly replace chicks and repay the post office for shipping.

On their website it said the next shipment was on the 19th but she told me they always have some in reserve for just these kind of problems and they will ship out tomorrow and to let her know either way when they arrive what condition they are in.

Now my only problem is that I am afraid to get too excited again in case of a repeat. Fingers crossed.

Thanks all.

Receiving chicks in the mail is scary and risky. I have had 2 shipments so far, and the worst part is taking that first peak inside the box. Ugh I always dread opening the box. But luckily I have never had a problem. So sorry about your entire loss it had to have been terrible. I would definitely track them if they email you a tracking number for your order. My last batch (26cx) made it to my post office but accidently got sent back out and I knew immediately as I was tracking them the whole time online I called my post office and they tracked them down and they were immediately sent back to my post office.

fl.gif
Heres hoping a better outcome on this batch.

I'm glad McMurray was so nice with you. We've had touch and go problems with their customer service so ... anyway they always ship our birds out on Tuesday and we get them on Thursday so we've never had a dead one in shipping, however, we've had a few within the first 24 hours which McMurray guarantees as well. We always photo the box wrapped and then as we open it so if there are any questions we have some proof. I don't know if they can send them to a different post office or not since they send them to the closest PO to you. Did you ask them that on the phone?

Back
Top Bottom