All dead this morning.

Badhbh

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
The chickens were out ranging this morning. About 8:30 we got a knock on the door. The neighbor was out there, and said that something got in the chickens. It was a dog.. b*stard didn't even eat any of them. It was all for fun. He ran the dog off, and I went out to survey the damage. In the time i've lived here, i've NEVER had any trouble with strays- it's a small town, and the part that I live in doesn't get much traffic. I've never seen a dog off of a leash (with the exception of the shi tsu next door and he's terrified of the chickens).
17 birds dead. 5 missing. 2 ducks missing. 2 chicks missing. Mama hen died defending the babies. I found the other three hiding in the roots of a tree. I had always imagined that something like this would happen at night, not in broad daylight. Not while there were people up and moving. I'm not sure why that is.
The geese and 2 pekin ducks made it by running like hell and hiding. A few girls made it by hiding in the hay loft of the barn. Stubs is dead. Poor sweet Stubs that proved he could survive anything, killed by a dog. Satan the insane Polish rooster, and one of his women, dead. Ghandi the silkie made it. Owl'ra the lap rooster made it. One of the SLW, both Ameraucanas made it, and one of the BO hens.
I'm stunned. I think i'm in shock. I tried calling ChickenCop, but I think he worked nightshift. The Sheriff came and took notes and said they'd try to find the dogs. My roommate went out looking and found them both. Collars, no tags, and both in heat it looked like. There's bodies everywhere- we collected most of them, and the Man is out there digging a large deep hole. The roommate is gathering up feathers from the yard before the kids get home at 1. I can't do anything but sit here.

You just sit as long as you need to. I am so glad your kids weren't home too.

I think the numbness helps us to cope.
hugs.gif

Oh my word.........I am sitting here in tears! That is the most horrible thing to have happend. I am so sorry....so very sorry!!
I never really thought about a stray dog! I haven't even seen one, but I will be thinking about that now!
Huge hugs!!!

Back
Top Bottom