All things Vintage thread - Antiques, music & more!

Oh yay! I love vintage and antique things! Mostly local history. It's my passion. I want to be an archeologist. I could get lost in my local history especially! Finding an artifact to me is equivalent to someone finding a big gold nugget or a big ol raw diamond. Although that would be nice too 💲, artifacts are priceless to me. Even junk. An old bottle is gold to me. Im only 32 so what may not be vintage to some of you, may be to me, lol. I enjoy metal detecting too. Our small town started out massive with the Missouri Lumber a d Mining Company. Today it's just a small town with only a local gas station, a post office, and a recent Dollar General, but it was once abundant with blacksmith shops, train station, hospital, pharmacies, schools, churches, general stores, hotels, factories, etc, so there's lots of treasures here. One particular area on main st is where the big blacksmith shop once sat. There is a creek running through town. The back door to the blacksmith shop opened up near the creak. I have founds hundreds of things in the creek. Various black smithing tools, unfinished or half finished projects, wagon wheels, etc. Old canning jars from the onion factory. Railroad steaks. Vintage glass medicine bottles from the pharmacy. It's just a treasure trove here. Aside from buried artifacts, I'm also passionate of more recent vintage things. Pirex, etc. I'm especially fond of vintage kitchen and housewares. Anything really to remind me of housewives in my grannys days. My most recent find, in an old local dump site, was a 1949 Joy Dishsoap bottle. Ill picture it, as its the only photo of any of my finds on this new phone. I love anything vintage farm life too. I just love it all! I could spend hours in awe in flea markets and antique shops.
That is delightful! I love vintage and antique farm goods too. I can be in a thrift store or antique shop for hours 🤣

Also, what a great find!

Oh yay! I love vintage and antique things! Mostly local history. It's my passion. I want to be an archeologist. I could get lost in my local history especially! Finding an artifact to me is equivalent to someone finding a big gold nugget or a big ol raw diamond. Although that would be nice too 💲, artifacts are priceless to me. Even junk. An old bottle is gold to me. Im only 32 so what may not be vintage to some of you, may be to me, lol. I enjoy metal detecting too.
Welcome to the thread! You must have a lot of fun finding new artifacts. Metal detecting sounds neat too!
Our small town started out massive with the Missouri Lumber a d Mining Company. Today it's just a small town with only a local gas station, a post office, and a recent Dollar General, but it was once abundant with blacksmith shops, train station, hospital, pharmacies, schools, churches, general stores, hotels, factories, etc, so there's lots of treasures here. One particular area on main st is where the big blacksmith shop once sat. There is a creek running through town. The back door to the blacksmith shop opened up near the creak. I have founds hundreds of things in the creek. Various black smithing tools, unfinished or half finished projects, wagon wheels, etc. Old canning jars from the onion factory. Railroad steaks. Vintage glass medicine bottles from the pharmacy. It's just a treasure trove here. Aside from buried artifacts, I'm also passionate of more recent vintage things. Pirex, etc. I'm especially fond of vintage kitchen and housewares. Anything really to remind me of housewives in my grannys days. My most recent find, in an old local dump site, was a 1949 Joy Dishsoap bottle. Ill picture it, as its the only photo of any of my finds on this new phone. I love anything vintage farm life too. I just love it all! I could spend hours in awe in flea markets and antique shops.
Wow, your town sounds like it is filled with history. It sounds so rewarding to find little pieces of it out and about. My area, Silicon Valley, used to be full of orchards and was called the Valley of Heart's Delight, but now there are a lot of tech companies and very little farmland remains. I have an "Images of America" book on my city, Mountain View, that is filled with fascinating pictures of the way things used to look. There was once a blacksmith shop and also a train station built in 1888. The latter was demolished in 1959, but a 2002 replica now stands where the original was. There is an image of it in the book surrounded with horse-drawn carriages. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your newest find! I would love to spend hours in antique shops too.

I have a leo too! She is a wild morph. What about yours?

I love fat tails.
I'm not sure what the morph is called, but here is a picture of Luna. She has a saucer-style hamster wheel she walks on almost every night. She also uses it as a litter box. She is an inquisitive and very good gecko.
1620754717403.png

And here is Mocha the African fat-tailed gecko. Unlike Luna, Mocha is very shy, hardly ever comes out, and seems a bit weak. Her prey almost always gets away from her before she can eat it. She is beautiful, though.
1620754912623.png

I'm not sure what the morph is called, but here is a picture of Luna. She has a saucer-style hamster wheel she walks on almost every night. She also uses it as a litter box. She is an inquisitive and very good gecko.View attachment 2663597

And here is Mocha the African fat-tailed gecko. Unlike Luna, Mocha is very shy, hardly ever comes out, and seems a bit weak. Her prey almost always gets away from her before she can eat it. She is beautiful, though.View attachment 2663603
They are adorable! Can I see a pic of Luna´s wheel? :)

Welcome to the thread! You must have a lot of fun finding new artifacts. Metal detecting sounds neat too!

Wow, your town sounds like it is filled with history. It sounds so rewarding to find little pieces of it out and about. My area, Silicon Valley, used to be full of orchards and was called the Valley of Heart's Delight, but now there are a lot of tech companies and very little farmland remains. I have an "Images of America" book on my city, Mountain View, that is filled with fascinating pictures of the way things used to look. There was once a blacksmith shop and also a train station built in 1888. The latter was demolished in 1959, but a 2002 replica now stands where the original was. There is an image of it in the book surrounded with horse-drawn carriages. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your newest find! I would love to spend hours in antique shops too.
Yes. It was such a neat little town. Well, it wasn't once so little. When logging got scarce and other work popped us elsewhere, the Missouri Lumber and Mining Company was forced to uproot and leave quickly. The residents went with it to follow work, or elsewhere to look for work. No more residents to supply the hospitals, hotels, schools, etc. It eventually became a ghost town. One or two original buildings remain. A hotel and a girls home. Both have been converted into homes since, but theyre old and wiltering away. It was a huge company and quite the big deal, so thankfully the history is rich with newspaper articles, photos, books, artifacts, etc. There is one small pond left that used to be a massive stock pond they housed the logs during production before shipping them off on trains or floating them down the river. You'd never know it today if you didn't know the history of the pond, but that's one place id kill to medal detect! There's no clues above ground that a huge mill factory used to be there, but i bet there is below ground and in the pond!! It's long been private property now unfortunately. Missouri is so rich with historical significance. It sure has quite the stories to tell. I love it here 🥰 I'd open a museum in my home town with all the stuff, if it was such a scarce dump now. Not many people left but meth addicts and thieves. It's such a shame too..

I enjoy old architecture, from around 1850-1920. My house was built in 1920, and I have tried to bring some of the originality back to it. I have found matching art deco chandeliers, and some old furniture, as well. I also like old books. I am not afraid of refinishing anything -- I've done doors, windows, and lighting.
My house was built in 1920 also! My hubby and I are redoing the upstairs and are trying to use as much decor and things from 1920 that we can. It's hard to find stuff though

let's see...i still have(and use) my vintage Corelle dishes i got when i married in 1977. i also collect chicken cookie jars and like old cookbooks(1800 to early 1900's). as far as music, the radio stations here consider the 90's to be classic:lol:. thank God for cd's and you tube so i can find something worth listening to!

Here is a little vintage cat pill box (?) I found for a few dollars at an antique store a while back. I don't know anything about it but I got it because I liked the cat and the word "MEOW." The paper with writing on it appears to have been glued to the inside, and there is also some underneath the cat on the top. Perhaps someone a long time ago had fun decorating it.
Sorry--the pictures aren't the best.
IMG_4099.JPG
IMG_4100.JPG

let's see...i still have(and use) my vintage Corelle dishes i got when i married in 1977. i also collect chicken cookie jars and like old cookbooks(1800 to early 1900's). as far as music, the radio stations here consider the 90's to be classic:lol:. thank God for cd's and you tube so i can find something worth listening to!
Chicken cookie jars? I would love to see some pictures!

Old cookbooks are really interesting. I just have one from 1929 titled "Good Meals and How to Prepare Them" from the Good Housekeeping Institute. I'll have to try some recipes from it sometime. I once read part of a transcript of an 1824 cookbook that, under a section called "Culinary Curiosities," quoted a truly horrific passage from a 1661 book called "Eighteen Books of the Secrets of Art and Nature." I tracked it down on Google Books and found it. You may click on the spoiler if you dare read how "To rost a Goose alive." ☠️
1620760188355.png

As for the music, I completely agree. Without Youtube and CDs I would be limited to the radio, and most of the stations are not at all to my taste. It is wonderful that there are people of Youtube who make old recordings available for us all to hear. We have a Big Band radio station a few cities over, but it is very small and usually the reception is not very good.

Back
Top Bottom