All things Vintage thread - Antiques, music & more!

Pics
Here are a couple of antique-y items I own: a vintage phone bench, and boy scout manuals belonging to my papa and dad. My papa was an Eagle scout right before WWII, so his book (left) is well-worn and the front cover has actually come detached. I would love to know the decade the phone bench came out of, but cannot find any inscriptions on it anywhere. 20220417_140920.jpg 20220417_140726.jpg

Are vintage rods much different from new ones?
depends on the quality i think, some are well made, others feel real cheap.

but there is a different feel to the reels, they may not have the same ball bearing numbers or that silky smooth reeling action. but there is just something about them that feels right.

i find it funny people i know will spend hundreds of dollars (sure a few spend more than a grand) on a good rod and reel set up, and its only for walleye, and they freak out when they get a pike on the line, don't want to hurt there set up.

then there is me who is using a vintage reel worth a dollar or two at a garage sale and maybe a 5 dollar rod. and i can catch plenty of fish if not more then some of them with hundreds of dollars worth of gear.

@Anime2lover - Your saw is most likely from the early 1900s, probably around 1911 judging by the medallion with their company name and the keystone shape in the middle. How cool is that! That saw is over a hundred years old likely. They have just found a treasure. Makes me wonder how many trees they cut up with that old piece.

From this website - - -
"Later Disston made WS medallions, have a circle of dots, star at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and with or without the eagle in the middle, then a keystone was put in the middle instead of an eagle. The 1906 catalog shows the eagle while the 1911 has the keystone showing on their replacements medallions. The 1914, and 1923 catalog shows nothing in the center (no eagle nor keystone)

This medallion is then from approx 1911. By then most small guys were now secondary lines of the big guys (Disston, Atkins, Bishop and Simonds)"

Back
Top Bottom