all who are hatching quail

For young birds you'll have to check craig'slist locally as no respectable breeder ships them live. Eggs on CL too but many breeders ship anywhere in the US.

I decided to do this thread to see all that are hatching quail on here at the moment I've got 6 bobwhite and 72 coturnix
What do you have?

I am hatching 65 quail right now.
I have button and coturnix.
Are you breeders because my quail area is being built now and I need to set up a better breeding system because we brought all of our birds inside and now we get so many more quail eggs.
And I need to set up caged breeding so I know who is with who.

What do you guys do about jumbo eggs in the quail racks provided by hovabator/little giant???
SOme if not most of my eggs don't seem to fit side by side and I can't come up with a way to fit them in... Any help ;(?????

Do you mean the eggs are too big or too small?

If too big, they will fit fine in chicken rails. If too small, you can stick some of those plastic/fabric circles that you buy at the dollar store for putting underneath chair legs so they pad them and don't scratch your floor.

It's not ideal but it can work if you have no other option :O

Hello folks. I'm not ready yet, but I'm going to be building my first quail coop soon... starting off with coturnix as a backyard hobby. Wondering if there are any breeders close enough to me that I could visit to get recent hatchlings, or how folks like me go about getting them? I'm not opposed to hatching them myself, but as I'm a complete newbie, I though it may be wiser to start with some already hatched birds first.

Is there a directory of breeders on this forum?

I live near Ann Arbor, MI... anyone near me?

Finally--I'm wondering if hatching quail is a year-round thing for you breeders. Can I expect the market for new chicks to be fairly stable, or is there a window of opportunity for buying newly hatched chicks?

Thanks in advance!

Hello :)

I live in Canada and I have used a free online ad website/app called Kijiji for nearly all of my buying and selling of quail. It's similar to Craigslist? :)

I just started with coturnix in mid summer so I don't have much experience but I did notice demand went down in the fall, I expect it to go back up in the spring :) I believe this is because of the added difficulty of housing the birds during the winter (water freezing, eggs freezing, laying stops without additional lighting, etc.).

That being said, several people have messaged me via my old "sold" posts in the last few months looking for quail. I don't have any, I took a break but also my outside quail aren't mating any longer because of the weather although when I did have to take the male inside for almost two weeks for a late molt he started up again
1f61c.png

Some people wanted chicks, some people wanted a group of hens for eggs, some with several hens and one male for breeding, so I would expect you'll have to find some other ways to "use" your excess male quail.

It's also handy to breed the colors of coturnix that have sexually dimorphic plumage making them visually easy to sex after a few weeks - that will help when selling young. The pharaoh is great for this and the most common. They also come in larger sizes.

People will/should only ship eggs so live birds will have to be found locally. There are some great sources in America for jumbo pharaohs but I'm not completely familiar with them, I just hear about them on here :p

I had a bad experience getting live birds from a "reputable" breeder on a farm who raised mostly chickens. I thought I bought a healthy group of four birds (saw them briefly together while touring the place) but when I got them home, it turned out to be two severely overmated females to the point of nerve damage from the alpha male grabbing their naked skulls to mate and that was probably a lot likely spurned on by the fact there was a beat up male in there too who was always trying to hide - two females and two males!! That's an irresponsible group destined for stress and brutality. You shouldn't have less than three females (some males need more) because of damage from overmating and more than one male in a group because of fighting. This can change if you have a large aviary like setup with places to run and hide but it's still a risk having more than one male.

They were all a mess with their beaks overgrown as well, I don't think they had a dust bath which helps wear it down as they peck through it. They also were infested with feather lice!!!!!

Ugh I was so upset at the care of these birds and that she was profiting off of their eggs for who knows how long in those conditions. Diatomaceous earth in their dust bath completely cured the feather lice within a few days - the birds bathed themselves and the diatomaceous earth (razor sharp tiny super absorbant fossils but safe if you get the food grade kind) and that cut up the bugs and dried them out until they died. Much better than using poison/chemicals in my opinion.

Coturnix are fairly easy to incubate and brood, I've done smaller hatches between about 15-30 birds and found that to be a great introduction :)

It seems used incubators for a good price (got mine off Kijiji hehe!) are super rare around here at least, it would take a while to source one if you're going that route. Good luck :D

Hello
smile.png

I live in Canada and I have used a free online ad website/app called Kijiji for nearly all of my buying and selling of quail. It's similar to Craigslist?
smile.png

I just started with coturnix in mid summer so I don't have much experience but I did notice demand went down in the fall, I expect it to go back up in the spring
smile.png
I believe this is because of the added difficulty of housing the birds during the winter (water freezing, eggs freezing, laying stops without additional lighting, etc.).

That being said, several people have messaged me via my old "sold" posts in the last few months looking for quail. I don't have any, I took a break but also my outside quail aren't mating any longer because of the weather although when I did have to take the male inside for almost two weeks for a late molt he started up again
1f61c.png

Some people wanted chicks, some people wanted a group of hens for eggs, some with several hens and one male for breeding, so I would expect you'll have to find some other ways to "use" your excess male quail.

It's also handy to breed the colors of coturnix that have sexually dimorphic plumage making them visually easy to sex after a few weeks - that will help when selling young. The pharaoh is great for this and the most common. They also come in larger sizes.

People will/should only ship eggs so live birds will have to be found locally. There are some great sources in America for jumbo pharaohs but I'm not completely familiar with them, I just hear about them on here
tongue.png

I had a bad experience getting live birds from a "reputable" breeder on a farm who raised mostly chickens. I thought I bought a healthy group of four birds (saw them briefly together while touring the place) but when I got them home, it turned out to be two severely overmated females to the point of nerve damage from the alpha male grabbing their naked skulls to mate and that was probably a lot likely spurned on by the fact there was a beat up male in there too who was always trying to hide - two females and two males!! That's an irresponsible group destined for stress and brutality. You shouldn't have less than three females (some males need more) because of damage from overmating and more than one male in a group because of fighting. This can change if you have a large aviary like setup with places to run and hide but it's still a risk having more than one male.

They were all a mess with their beaks overgrown as well, I don't think they had a dust bath which helps wear it down as they peck through it. They also were infested with feather lice!!!!!

Ugh I was so upset at the care of these birds and that she was profiting off of their eggs for who knows how long in those conditions. Diatomaceous earth in their dust bath completely cured the feather lice within a few days - the birds bathed themselves and the diatomaceous earth (razor sharp tiny super absorbant fossils but safe if you get the food grade kind) and that cut up the bugs and dried them out until they died. Much better than using poison/chemicals in my opinion.

Coturnix are fairly easy to incubate and brood, I've done smaller hatches between about 15-30 birds and found that to be a great introduction
smile.png

It seems used incubators for a good price (got mine off Kijiji hehe!) are super rare around here at least, it would take a while to source one if you're going that route. Good luck
big_smile.png
Thanks for this info. As I suspected, I think it's going to be difficult for me to locate reputable breeders who happen to be close enough for a drive. And... you identified the problem that I'd like to avoid if I buy eggs and hatch them myself--what to do with those extra males?

Back
Top Bottom