all who are hatching quail

Thanks for this info.  As I suspected, I think it's going to be difficult for me to locate reputable breeders who happen to be close enough for a drive.  And... you identified the problem that I'd like to avoid if I buy eggs and hatch them myself--what to do with those extra males?  

I know :/ it would be ideal if they were more like some reptile eggs where incubation temperature had a big influence on gender.

People usually eat them, some use scissors and some do small animal euthanasia with baking soda and vinegar then they can be stored intact frozen for exotic pet feed such as a big lizard or snake.

just hatched out 21 out of 30 from a fella who has been line breeding for he says 15 years. my biggest chick at 10 days weighs 83 grams.
This is our first adventure, was visiting our daughter and she told me of her neighbor and his quail in his basement. I was totally amazed he had hens weighing 20
ounces. and eggs at 18 to 23 grams. I had to really pay large for the 30 eggs but could not let them go.
Is that good weight for jumbo brown chicks at that age?
Thanks

Help Anyone
What kind of quail are these? We bought these at an auction last weekend and there was no name or breed on the cage, we are very new to the quail business and the wife thought they were so cute and just needed them. Here are some pictures. Any help would be greatful.
Thanks
SC cityquail

Im no expert but it looks like Coturnix to me...not the wild type but the blonde ones. Check on JamesMarieFarms website. They have a lot of pics of various Coturnix quail color types. You can match them up and know what you have.

There is no right ratio for quail. It all depends on your birds. Some people might have trouble with 2m 4f but others will get along great. You just have to keep an eye on them to make sure they arent gettimg over bred.

Back
Top Bottom