all who are hatching quail

Final count is in, I purchased 40 eggs. 2 were cracked and culled before incubation. of the 38 eggs incubated, 26 hatched and are happily growing in the brooder. I had 2 that died during hatching, and 3 that only partially developed. The rest were infertile, and had no development. The adjusted hatch rate is 76% success (discounting infertile eggs).

Day 16 is done. Hopefully tomorrow I will see some hatching. 76% hatch sounds great. I hope I will get at least a few to hatch for the 1st go.

Hoping to have my Bobwhite eggs by the end of the week here. Ordered 100, ordered 100 last year made the bad, bad, mistake of putting them in the egg turner pointed end up. I had no clue that was the wrong way. So lesson learned and we'll give it another shot here as soon as the eggs arrive.

Hatch update as of this morning when I left for work. The 1st one hatched last night, and this morning 4 more hatched. Looking good so far.

Hatch update. By the time I got home, 7 total out of 10 had hatched. Will leave the incubator going a little longer. Today was day 17 I think.

I have a question to all of you who've incubated many-o-egg in your day.

This is my very first time incubatin and I am in day 10, so just over half way for my lovely JMF Jumbo Quail coturnix eggs. I decided to candle my eggs tonight. So I did that and now I have some questions.

Out of 50 I had 7 that glowed like a lightbulb, so I assume infertile? I left them in there just in case..don't know...

Then there were a ton just totally black, can't see through them at all... I didn't even see the air pocket on most of them. Is that normal?

Then there were 3 that were different (didn't fall into the totally black or totally see-through category) - they were sort of completely see through, but with a black something inside dancing and moving around :) SO COOL! But I'm worried and puzzled...

If these are the only good ones (3 out of 50) then that's not good, is it? But if all of the totally black eggs are good also (no movement detected in those, just completely black) - then does it mean that my 3 dancing eggs are late bloomers and will hatch later than others because they are slightly behind others in their development?

Anyway, help!!! :) Please share your experience as to how to interpret the findings of the quail egg candling process, at least at day 10 and/or at lockdown.

Hope

The eggs that glowed like a light bulb are more than likely infertile. The dancing ones "may" be late bloomers. Time will tell. The totally black ones are the ones that should hatch on time. This has been my experience. It sounds like you are doing a great job incubating these eggs. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom