all who are hatching quail

Four have hatched so far, and more are pipping at this very moment.

This is my very first year of having quail, and this clutch is out of a hen that I hatched and raised earlier this year.
ep.gif
So this hen set this clutch and hatched chicks?

Today is day 15 for my jumbo coturnix ... so i candled them before setting them.. and they had external pips.. i just set them and they are hatching as im writing....

Last edited:
ep.gif
So this hen set this clutch and hatched chicks?

Yes, and yes.
big_smile.png
And what I find even more amazing is that she, herself, was only hatched out this June!
When she first started laying, I noticed right away that, while the others would lay where ever the mood hit them, she always laid her egg in the same corner. So I just decided to leave her eggs alone and see what would happen. Every day she would lay another egg a day on her little pile, and then when she decided she'd laid enough, she quit laying and started sitting on them. Each day I kind of expected her to abandon them, and each day I was pleasantly surprised to find her still on them. Then as 2nd week passed and she was showing no signs of abandoning her eggs, I was starting to believe that she might actually do this. And sure enough, she actually did it! I'm hoping that she passes on the broody trait to her chicks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom