Almost march

Clmirabilio92

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2019
I plan on getting 12 chicks at the beginning of March. The weather will be about 60 during the day and 40 at night. Will the chicks be okay?? They will be housed inside a chicken house that's covered and wrapped up with a separate area inside with their heat plate in it. Lots of bedding. Which is also housed inside a mostly closed up barn. Just asking for thoughts and opinions. Thanks!!

Temperatures are fine as long as the heat plate specifies it can function optimally in that temperature range. Slightly more concerned about the fact that everything is wrapped up/closed up - a barn should be big enough that air volume is fine even if it's mostly closed, but good ventilation is still necessary. You just don't want a draft going through the brooder is all.

Temperatures are fine as long as the heat plate specifies it can function optimally in that temperature range. Slightly more concerned about the fact that everything is wrapped up/closed up - a barn should be big enough that air volume is fine even if it's mostly closed, but good ventilation is still necessary. You just don't want a draft going through the brooder is all.
The barn is big lol. It is closed up mostly around the bottom. Just the roof Is missing pieces. I call it my sky lights 😂 the only thing wrapped up is the chick house. But I left a spot for ventilation 😁. Just not directly on where they will be.

There are several great articles regarding the benefits of brooding "outside," these are 2 of my favs. Given what you've said, my opinion is they'll be great. Heat source and fact that you have 12, they'll be warm enough at night. I'm starting 5 chicks in same temps as you as of Friday with MHP in brooder room inside coop that is size of small barn. I've never had an issue. All of that said, I do keep them in my laundry room for just the first night, so that I closely observe, make sure they're looking good and healthy, then it's out to the coop. ENJOY!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors.68067/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Back
Top Bottom