Alright to switch from 20% protein to 16%???

chicken_angler

Coop Constructist
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
a house
I went to go pick up some straw yesterday at the grain place yesterday. Then I asked them what type of feed they had so that I didnt have to make another stop. They had a 16% protein bag for 11 bucks. I usually buy a 20% feed from the feed store down the road. The 20% is 14 bucks.

Anyways, I told the guy that I had to feed it to quail and chickens. When I asked what protein it was, he said 11% and then I asked, Isnt the highest protein better for them? He said that the higher protein is only for baby chickens. I felt almost offended because I kow that the higher the porotein, the better right??

Well I bought the bag and I havent opened it yet. Should I try to take it back or is it okay?

Thanks,
Cody!!

Cody, like Steve some are very lucky feeding low protien feeds...others can't get eggs from their birds on low protien. I've seen massive egg increase on feeding 22% and supplimenting with more protien sources. Its up to you but if yous tart seeing egg issues/feather eating issues then you may want to up.

You definately want to feed higher protien to the younger birds. The breeding quail most certainly. The quail I feel constantly need a higher protien than 16%. As chicks I use 28% and depending on what the quail are raised for pets, meat, eggs I still never go below 18%.

Quote:
Thats is exactly what I told him. The man told me then that that was incorrect and that the high protein is ONLY for chicks. Not adults.

I will try to take it back tomorrow. If I cant take it back, I will just use use it.

Thanks,
Cody!!

Cody I'll let you in on a little secret, many times the guy at the feed stores doesn't know much about any bird other than chickens, and that's if you're lucky. I've had the chicken book IN MY HAND asking for a certain % calcium to be told I needed something else. When it comes to quail, just ask for the "24% game bird feed" so the guy can't argue.

If you can't take it back hard boil up some eggs to suppliment the bagged feed, smush them up and feed it.

I feed mine 27% all the time. Mainly because I always have babies and it is just easier to feed one type of food to my quail. My chickens are on pellets.

Quote:
Thanks Saddina! I am just trying to find a food that works for both of my birds. Quail and chickens. The local feed store has quail food and I might end up getting that. I think its 30% protein.

Thanks,
Cody!!

Back
Top Bottom