Altsteirer

I just got 2 styrian (altsteirer) hens and rooster today! I think one of the hens should be laying already. I got them because they're Slovenian autochthonous chicken breed[COLOR=545454] [/COLOR]and I'm from Slovenia :D
Nice birds. They have quite a bit more white in their faces than mine do

Last edited:
I just got 2 styrian (altsteirer) hens and rooster today! I think one of the hens should be laying already. I got them because they're Slovenian autochthonous chicken breed and I'm from Slovenia :D

That is how rare breeds are continued - by people with a special connection to them!
As a child my folks had many breeds on the farm and I love them ALL today!

I know someone asked this earlier in this thread, but does anyone know if there is a standard for the Altsteirer breed? Also, are there any groups or a club or something for the breed? I do not have any yet but it would be nice to know!

We imported them and here's what stands out about them: they are very hardy, and the hens lay a ton of eggs. Very productive ancient crested breed; so much so that it's a running joke on our farm about how many eggs we get out of the Altsteirer pen each day. You never know exactly what you'll get with a new breed, but we've been very happy with the Altsteirers. I took this pic today of a hen that was free ranging.

May I ask why you no longer carry the breed?

I got 4 Altsteirer chicks from Greenfire. I believe I have 2 pullerts and 2 cockerels. Two of them that I think are female have lots of feathers already, the two I think are males are way behid in the feathering. Does that sound right for this breed? Females already have nice tails, males tales look stumpy.

Back
Top Bottom