Am I a Debbie Downer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
I was watching "The Early Show" this morning and a segment played that really bothered me. Here is what it was about.

Message in a bottle forges long-distance friendship

A 10-year-old boy put a message in a bottle and tossed it into the ocean. One year and 2500 miles later, a young girl in Hawaii found it. Jeff Glor speaks with the new friends as they see each other for the first time.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7375870n&tag=mncol;lst;1#ixzz1UGRkQaHs

Tossing a bottle in the ocean? Isn't this littering? I can understand that it is exciting for the kids involved but at the same time, why would someone want to toss LITTER INTO THE OCEAN? There are animals out there in the ocean who are affected EVERY DAY by trash and litter that people throw into the ocean. If I tossed a bottle with a message in it (in hopes that someone found it) out of my car and the police saw me, I would get stopped and get A TICKET and have to PAY A FINE!!!!!!!!! Why is the ocean any different? What if thousands of people tossed bottles in the ocean to see who would find out? What would our lakes and oceans look? What would happen to our beautiful fish, dolphins, whales and other water life that are out there? How many animals would be killed or affected because of this litter?

The Early Show wasted time and a slot to air this segement when they could have aired something more important.
somad.gif
I'm just saying.

Am I being a Debbie Downer or do I care too much about our environment and our ocean life?
hit.gif

Quote:
Millions of people throw millions of tons of garbage into the ocean every year because it is the most convenient place for them to do so. There is a raft of garbage in the Pacific bigger than the United States.

Quote:
Millions of people throw millions of tons of garbage into the ocean every year because it is the most convenient place for them to do so. There is a raft of garbage in the Pacific bigger than the United States.

You are absolutely right. Millions............. That's so sad.
hit.gif

And The Early Show is commending and applauding a little boy for littering. WHAT IN THE WORLD is wrong with this picture??????????????

At least a glass bottle can shatter and be eroded away, but I doubt the bottle used was glass.

You know the Sargasso Sea in the mid Atlantic? The swirling patch of seaweed that is home to MANY sea creatures, and is sort of a fish/marine creature nursery? Yea, it is full of TRASH. Disgusting. I wonder what people think when they toss trash in the ocean, that it disappear in its vastness? Nope, it'll end up in the gut of an animal, or floating in the gigantic garbage patches of the ocean *le sigh*

I agree. I think they it will disapper. Maybe they think all of the trash is biodegradable. I wonder how people would feel if someone would dispose trash and bottles in their yard.

I think that I will type a letter and send to "The Early Show" and let them know how I feel. I wonder who's bright idea was to air this terrible segment. I hope that no one else is "INSPIRED" by this and wants to do the same thing.

Last edited:
Maybe try concentrating on the great little girl who took it OUT of the ocean?
smile.png
Good for her, note or no note!

Lol.

Ok. I will make sure that I tell the police officer who gives me a ticket to pay a $ 500.00 fine for littering for throwing out a message in a bottle from my car into a ditch that he is a Danny Downer. I wonder if he will tear up the ticket. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom