Am I dumb? Just rescued a factory farm chicken.

Cocky Wes

Hatching
Jul 6, 2016
Near our home, there is a chicken processing plant where hundreds of birds arrive throughout the day in cramped cages on big trucks. Today, one of those birds apparently escaped it's cage about block from the processing plant. It was at a red light in a pretty busy area of our city and it was blocking traffic. Without thinking, I jumped out and scooped it up in a blanket and drove home with it in my lap.

I currently have a small flock of 3 happy, healthy hens at home. When I got home, I let my girls out of their coop to free range while I temporarily stuck my new orphaned friend into the run. Is introducing a bird from a factory farm especially risky and was this a really dumb move by me? I'm really curious if these chickens are more prone to having disease and socialization issues. Sorry if this the wrong forum for this kind of question but I'm kinda desperate for help/answers before I get too deep and committed to integrating this girl.

PS: I can't get over how massive and meaty this chicken is. She is an absolute hoss compared to my little hens.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
It's always best to quarantine new birds, but chances are there are more chances of this bird getting something from yours then there is of the converse. Such birds generally have a limited lifespan. They are eating machines that gain weight so rapidly that they frequently have heart and leg problems. Some people have extended their lifespan by limiting feed intake and allowing them to free range. What you have done is a noble thing, but don't get too attached.

I think you saved that poor chickens life. Bless you for that.

As for your question yes it is risky to add a bird from a different place to your farm. The bird you rescued could carry a disease it is immune to but that your flock is not. However if it were me I would separate the bird for a week (as that is what I do when I buy birds and take them home) This will decrease the chance that the bird will transfer a disease to your flock.

Good luck with your hen :)

Thanks for the response and kind words. Yeah I noticed that she is walking oddly, as if she was having trouble extending her legs fully, which I assume is from living in a cramped cage for most of her life. Anyone know if this type of bird will lay eggs?

Do you have a picture of the bird? This will help me identify the breed and answer the question :)

Yeah sorry. I assume she's a "broiler" but not sure. I was mainly curious if birds raised for meat like this would eventually lay.

Yeah sorry. I assume she's a "broiler" but not sure. I was mainly curious if birds raised for meat like this would eventually lay.
I believe she is a Cornish cross, I once owned a flock of them XD
Although the CC is meant for meat she will lay once and a while. But if you are looking for a layer in her you will be disappointed :/

It's so kind of you to have gotten of your car and get this chicken! :) I think you've been given some good advice so far, I just saw the thread and was interested so I stopped on by. And I agree, she's a Cornish Cross. Don't know much on info on this breed though.......

The Cornish Cross is how I got my start at chicken keeping (didn't exactly get cornish by choice). We just recently processed all of them. They were around 10 weeks or so and huge. Even with limiting their food they were huge. We had a few die along the way and suspect it was the heat. I agree though, don't get too attached. To be honest I would be hesitant about even letting her live long enough to reach laying age. By the end of ours they were starting to look pretty miserable

I believe she is a Cornish cross, I once owned a flock of them XD
Although the CC is meant for meat she will lay once and a while. But if you are looking for a layer in her you will be disappointed :/
Thanks! Not really looking for her to lay but I will take what I can get if she decides to contribute! Just hoping that everyone is healthy and gets along with eachother.

Back
Top Bottom