Am I dumb? Just rescued a factory farm chicken.

We were given 6 Cornish rock chicks about 5 years ago. They were our first chickens ever.They were messy and totally ripped up their yard area.We then mixed them with 6 Easter eggers. The Cornish hens were great layers and the last one passed away a couple of months ago. I'm assuming they are the same type. They usually sell them at Tractor Supply.Our remaining rooster is also a meat chicken we raised from a egg.His foster mother was a white little silky. He is Huge but is now 4 years old.I would have done the same thing. No matter how short her life is you cared.
Cornish Rock may be different from Cornish Cross meat birds.
Do you have any pics of these bird their 3rd, 4th, 5th year?

Hi, Cocky Wes! Thank you for rescuing her!!! We need more people like you
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

Battery hens are more susceptible to bone fractures because their bones have been depleted of calcium, due to forced egg laying and a crappy diet. They peck each others feathers because they're stressed, but also because feathers are high in protein. We're hoping to rescue some ex bats. From what I've seen they make excellent pets, and with a little time and attention can live long and happy lives.

These are the Cornish rocks with the late Mr. Woods the rooster. Again not sure if these were the same breed but when I try and google Cornish rocks they keep saying Cornish cross. Mine use to lay Brown eggs.oops sorry, wrong pic, they are with our Easter eggers.

Last edited:
Bless you for jumping out at that intersection to help that poor chicken! I really hope that there is a special place in heaven for those who rescue animals....Last year I rescued a runt of a chicken with a scissor beak and blind in one eye, from my neighbor. I named her Lucky Lucy, but one day, she crowed and from then on, he was Lucky Louie.

Because he was a rooster, he was picked on by my little white banty rooster, Fancy Pants, and then then other chickens followed his lead and I had to keep him fenced in the yard when the others were free-ranging, and in the chicken house he was with the flock, but in his own little chicken run.

He had so much going against him, but he always seemed so content and happy. He loved the warmth of the sun and to sit on the front porch steps watching the world go by. He came to me when I called him and he just loved to be petted. But it was hard not to feel sorry for him watching him eat because of his misaligned beak, and with only one eye, he didn't have any real depth perception, so I had to use a really deep casserole pan and fill it to the top so he could just stand in his food and bury his beak in it just to get enough to eat.

To make a long story short, by the time he was 6 months old Louie was HUGE in size and a few months later, he developed a number of growing tumors all over his body. He didn't quite make it to a year old. He died one night, and I think that it was probably a heart attack.

But he made me so happy just by being so happy himself. He never seemed to notice his handicaps and enjoyed each day, I think, til the very end. I enjoyed every day he was with me and he was one big reason why I became a vegan. Best decision I have ever made. Ever.

Light and love to you and your rescued chicken. Enjoy her and share her experience til the end of her days, whenever that may be. It will change your life:0)

I also rescued a wonderful big hen from a mexican friend who had gotten her from a chicken farm. He also planed to have her for Sunday dinner. He decided to give her to me. So I guess she escaped the oven twice. She had much trouble with the other girls who picked on her terribly . I let her free range. She stayed next to the chicken run and she did lay eggs, which she hid very well. I would pick her up at night and put her on a roust with the other girls. In the morning I had to help her down. Last week she got into some rat poisin and I found her dead. My sister, who usually does not like animals had taken a liking to her and would through her a peice of bread on her way to work each morning. We were very sorry to lose her. Barrybob

These are the Cornish rocks with the late Mr. Woods the rooster. Again not sure if these were the same breed but when I try and google Cornish rocks they keep saying Cornish cross. Mine use to lay Brown eggs.oops sorry, wrong pic, they are with our Easter eggers.
Yeah, those are not Cornish Cross meat birds......but probably White Rock layers.
The breed names can get confusing.

Near our home, there is a chicken processing plant where hundreds of birds arrive throughout the day in cramped cages on big trucks. Today, one of those birds apparently escaped it's cage about block from the processing plant.
Welcome,

I just wanted to share this. My start in raising chickens was with some similar birds. Although the ones I was given had been laying eggs for some time. Never as many as my mom thought they should lay But, I haven't been feeding them pig feed like the previous private owner either.

Those first chickens are still the ones in my avatar although I only have one of the birds now. Several cockerels and pullets, but only one of the original hens. I suspect I will have to cull her soon.

Back
Top Bottom