Am I dumb? Just rescued a factory farm chicken.

The Cornish Cross is how I got my start at chicken keeping (didn't exactly get cornish by choice). We just recently processed all of them. They were around 10 weeks or so and huge. Even with limiting their food they were huge. We had a few die along the way and suspect it was the heat. I agree though, don't get too attached. To be honest I would be hesitant about even letting her live long enough to reach laying age. By the end of ours they were starting to look pretty miserab
I also started on this breed, they grey up fast and were never able to fly up to the roosting poles XD

Bless your heart for rescueing her. I've had one chicken like her and they do tend to over eat. Make sure she gets plenty of exercise and don't let her jump down from anything they tend to have leg problems. Mine did lay a medium white egg. They don't live very long but at least she will have a chance to see the grass and sky and be with other chickens.My chicken was very special and I loved her dearly.

Near our home, there is a chicken processing plant where hundreds of birds arrive throughout the day in cramped cages on big trucks. Today, one of those birds apparently escaped it's cage about block from the processing plant. It was at a red light in a pretty busy area of our city and it was blocking traffic. Without thinking, I jumped out and scooped it up in a blanket and drove home with it in my lap.

I currently have a small flock of 3 happy, healthy hens at home. When I got home, I let my girls out of their coop to free range while I temporarily stuck my new orphaned friend into the run. Is introducing a bird from a factory farm especially risky and was this a really dumb move by me? I'm really curious if these chickens are more prone to having disease and socialization issues. Sorry if this the wrong forum for this kind of question but I'm kinda desperate for help/answers before I get to deep and committed to integrating this girl.

PS: I can't get over how massive and meaty this chicken is. She is an absolute hoss compared to my little hens.

WOW..you did an AMAZING thing for this girl!
love.gif
Can't offer anything but support for doing such a great thing...giving this girl a chance to enjoy life the way a chicken should..no matter how short the time!

You are so kind. I would have done the same thing. What factory farm chickens go through breaks my heart. Even if she isn't around for very long she will have a nice life with you. I wouldn't think you would need to do much else other than quarantine, like you would with any new bird.

I live in north Georgia, there are chicken houses all over the place and I've heard this is the largest production area in the country. I've also heard that these chickens that end up at the local grocery of fast food joint are about 4-5 weeks old. I assume the breed they use is meant for a very short life span. Not sure what would happen if you tried to extend it, I'll be interested to here how it works out.

Yeah sorry. I assume she's a "broiler" but not sure. I was mainly curious if birds raised for meat like this would eventually lay.
You saved that beautiful CX from certain death from the road.
All I can say is that you have a heart of gold.
We raise Cx's for the freezer. They are bred to eat as much as you'll feed them. And they poop--- a lot and often. Bad smelling stuff.
These birds usually develop serious health issues the larger they get. We lost a few this year to heart failure @ 5-6 weeks.
That happened in spite of the feed rationing that we did with them. They develop leg/foot issues as well, even if you have them out on pasture. One of mine is almost down on her legs today. I hate seeing that.
They are a good tasting bird, however. We have 8 left, ready to go to the butcher as early as next week. They are just a bit bigger than yours.
Good luck if you decide to keep as a flock member or if you decide to have a chicken dinner.

You did a very good deed!! Bless you for saving her!! I HIGHLY recommend that you read up on her breed and learn the ways to help extend her life. She will not be like owning a standard chicken. These poor, poor birds are bread to get as big as they can, as fast as they can with larger breasts. If treated like a regular bird her weight with her just standing can crush her bones. If free fed she can have heart trouble or wont be able to move. Its so sad. But from what i understand there are things you can do to prevent these things from happening to her! You will likely be shocked at how Young this bird likely is. So if you pay special care you can extend her life and she might even give you some eggs too! I know they need a very special diet to prevent the overgrowth. Im sure a google search should provide you with how to properly care for her. The reason their lives are so short is due to massive growth . If you keep her diet in check, give her lots of love and exercise her life can be greatly extended! I think you did a good thing by keeping her. Shes just a youngster so im sure you will be able to help her out and give her a good life and meet her special needs! God bless you both! You have given her hope for a normal life and thats beautiful! I wish you both the very best!

Back
Top Bottom