Ameracaunas from Ideal Poultry

MonTXChickens

Chirping
5 Years
May 28, 2014
Montgomery, TX
Let me first say I have 9 Ameracaunas from Ideal Poiltry. They are feathering out in the brooder and they are beautiful. I am very satisfied to this point and look forward to watching them grow. I don't know how to describe all of the Color combinations but they are very colorful and different from one another. As I have read through the posts regarding Ameracaunas, I have read over and over that hatchhery chicks are not Ameracaunas. I understand the discussions about what the difference is but my question is more how and why? If they aren't really Ameracaunas, why do they call them that? If they aren't really Ameracaunas, how do they get away with making that claim? What happened to them to cause them to not be? I suspect that the Ideal Flock began with "real" Ameracaunas. Did a different breed fly over to the wrong side of the tracks and spoil the genetic line? Was there too little culling bad genetics? Is this the same at every hatchery and how is this possible? Is it possible that I have pure bred Ameracaunas that just don't Meet the breeding show standards? I am new to chicken raising and don't quite understand the whole Ameracaunas vs Easter egger debate... I hope you all can help me understand.

Let me first say I have 9 Ameracaunas from Ideal Poiltry. They are feathering out in the brooder and they are beautiful. I am very satisfied to this point and look forward to watching them grow. I don't know how to describe all of the Color combinations but they are very colorful and different from one another. As I have read through the posts regarding Ameracaunas, I have read over and over that hatchhery chicks are not Ameracaunas. I understand the discussions about what the difference is but my question is more how and why? If they aren't really Ameracaunas, why do they call them that? If they aren't really Ameracaunas, how do they get away with making that claim? What happened to them to cause them to not be? I suspect that the Ideal Flock began with "real" Ameracaunas. Did a different breed fly over to the wrong side of the tracks and spoil the genetic line? Was there too little culling bad genetics? Is this the same at every hatchery and how is this possible? Is it possible that I have pure bred Ameracaunas that just don't Meet the breeding show standards? I am new to chicken raising and don't quite understand the whole Ameracaunas vs Easter egger debate... I hope you all can help me understand.

The Ameraucanas you bought from from Ideal Poultry are actually Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas. I have ordered them in the past myself from Ideal Poultry. Many hatcheries sell Easter Eggers under the name Ameraucanas (or mispelled Americanas) or Araucanas, when they are actually hybrids produced by crossing Ameraucanas or Araucaunas with other breeds to increase the rate of lay and produce eggs in different colors (other than just blue). You are probably right that Ideal Poultry started with true Ameraucanas (probably still use them in breeding) but they intentionally crossed them with other breeds for the previous reasons I stated. This is the same as most hatcheries (there are a very few that actually sell true Ameraucanas). If your birds are in all color combinations as you described, they are Easter Eggers, not pure bred Ameraucanas. Actually, unless you want to breed Ameraucanas, you will probably like the Easter Eggers better because of the improved rate of lay and the colored eggs. You can find much more information on the differences between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, Easter Eggers, and Olive Eggers at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

The Ameraucanas you bought from from Ideal Poultry are actually Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas.  I have ordered them in the past myself from Ideal Poultry.  Many hatcheries sell Easter Eggers under the name Ameraucanas (or mispelled Americanas) or Araucanas, when they are actually hybrids produced by crossing Ameraucanas or Araucaunas with other breeds to increase the rate of lay and produce eggs in different colors (other than just blue).  You are probably right that Ideal Poultry started with true Ameraucanas (probably still use them in breeding) but they intentionally crossed them with other breeds for the previous reasons I stated.  This is the same as most hatcheries (there are a very few that actually sell true Ameraucanas).  If your birds are in all color combinations as you described, they are Easter Eggers, not pure bred Ameraucanas.  Actually, unless you want to breed Ameraucanas, you will probably like the Easter Eggers better because of the improved rate of lay and the colored eggs.  You can find much more information on the differences between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, Easter Eggers, and Olive Eggers at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

Thank you.... that makes some sense. So the cross breed was intentional for positive results on egg production. As I read through some of the comments, it sounded as if it was something negative. It sounded as if some people were saying these were inferior for some reason. It seems from your comments I will be happier with what I've got than purebreds. Other than maintaining the breed, why would I choose Amerecaunas over Easter Eggers especially if I will get better production from these? What is the likely other breed in the Ideal cross and what will I expect if I hatch some of these eggs? Is it a completely random unknown outcome?

Thank you.... that makes some sense. So the cross breed was intentional for positive results on egg production. As I read through some of the comments, it sounded as if it was something negative. It sounded as if some people were saying these were inferior for some reason. It seems from your comments I will be happier with what I've got than purebreds. Other than maintaining the breed, why would I choose Amerecaunas over Easter Eggers especially if I will get better production from these? What is the likely other breed in the Ideal cross and what will I expect if I hatch some of these eggs? Is it a completely random unknown outcome?

Not just increased egg production (although that is an added benefit) but primarily for different colored eggs (Ameraucanas and Araucanas are strictly blue egg layers). If you want to breed chickens according specific standards (for sale or show), then you would want pure Ameraucanas, but for just laying lots of colored eggs, the Easter Eggers are great. I always keep some in my flock because my children, and now my granddaughter love the colored eggs. As far as the other breeds used in the Ideal cross, I don't know for sure, but certainly they will have used some chocolate egg layers like Marans or Welsummers. When crossed with Ameraucanas, theEaster Egger offspring of these dark egg varieties will lay green eggs and are specifically known as Olive Eggers. In addition to blue and green, you may also get a pink or even a gold egg layer in the mix.

So if what your telling me is accurate, and I don't have any reason to don't you, I should end up with a variety of egg colors? I was only expecting blue but I'm excited to see what I get. ..

Another question: with the ameraucanas "Easter egger", I am going to keep a Faverolle and a New Hampshire. What would the of spring of those look like and what could I expect from their eggs? I have a silverish colored "Easter egger" with them. All same age of about 4 or 5 weeks so this is for down the road obviously.

So if what your telling me is accurate, and I don't have any reason to don't you, I should end up with a variety of egg colors? I was only expecting blue but I'm excited to see what I get. ..

Another question: with the ameraucanas "Easter egger", I am going to keep a Faverolle and a New Hampshire. What would the of spring of those look like and what could I expect from their eggs? I have a silverish colored "Easter egger" with them. All same age of about 4 or 5 weeks so this is for down the road obviously.

Yes, you will end up with a variety of colored eggs from the EEs. Since EEs are already hybrids and the offspring with your Faverolle and New Hampshire will be further hybridized, there is no way to really know what they will look like, or to even be sure what color their eggs will be. If the Easter Egger gives his blue gene, then the eggs with the New Hampshire will be green (since NHs lay brown eggs). Since the Favorelle's have tinted, salmon colored eggs, the eggs of the offspring may turn out pinkish. But then again, since your Easter Egger rooster is a hybrid himself, he may not give the blue gene and the eggs of your offspring will just be brown. You will just have to experiment and see.

You have already been most helpful. To clarify for me. .. Okay so I have to hope the Easter egger male has the blue gene in order for my further hybrids to have interesting eggs but what if he carries a green egg gene? When mated with the other Easter eggers, I should still get colored eggs right? It's just with the brown egg layer and the tinted egg layer that I might only get brown?

You have already been most helpful. To clarify for me. .. Okay so I have to hope the Easter egger male has the blue gene in order for my further hybrids to have interesting eggs but what if he carries a green egg gene? When mated with the other Easter eggers, I should still get colored eggs right? It's just with the brown egg layer and the tinted egg layer that I might only get brown?

There is no green egg gene. Green eggs are produced when a blue gene is combined with a brown gene. You Easter Egger male has two genes--one is blue from his Ameraucana or Araucana side. The other could either be brown (most likely) or white, depending on what breed his other side is. When you mate him to the NH, if he gives the blue gene, then the eggs she lays will be green, but if he gives the other gene then the eggs will just be brown (of some shade). When you mate him to the Favorelle, it he gives the blue gene, then your eggs will probably be a pinkish color. If he gives the other gene, then your eggs will be some a light tint of some sort (cream, tan, bone, etc., depending on whether his other gene is brown or white).

Thank you for the information! You have been very kind to give such full responses... I think I understand enough to get me started and can't know much more without actually experiencing I suppose.

Thank you for the information! You have been very kind to give such full responses... I think I understand enough to get me started and can't know much more without actually experiencing I suppose.

You're welcome. Chickens genetics makes for fascinating reading but there is no substitute for experience. It will be interesting to see how things turn out with your Ameraucana rooster.

Back
Top Bottom