Ameracaunas from Ideal Poultry

Oh we'll my chicks will be here today or tomorrow so excited. I've got 2brown eghorn pullets coming, 10EE pullets coming, an EE rooster, and 4 hatchery choice guineas. Oh and of course the polish I got for someone else.

I have some brown l eghorns. I didn't like them at first because they were flighty and unfriendly. Since then they have started laying and calmed down. They are good layers. They still aren't as friendly as the rest but they are good. My EE rooster is pretty but not friendly. He's not a pet but I like him m

I hope mine isn't like that but if they are I will still like them. I know I will definantly hold them a lot.

Last edited:
My EE's came yesterday all doing good they all have beards and pea combs except for one without a beard.

I also got 4guineas hatchery choice.

And 2 Danish brown leghorns

The ideal poultry website says in red type that they are pure ameracauna although not sold as show quality. I do not know how long this has been the case but I think its as wrong to assume all hatcheries sell mutts as it is wrong to assume that all independent breeders sell top quality.

Just because they claim that they are purebred does not mean they actually are. The way you could tell is breed some of them together. EE will be heterozygous for blue eggs and heterozygous for brown. That is why the hatchery Ameracauna lay a light olive or green colored egg. So when you breed two heterozygous birds some of their offspring will lay brown eggs. Purebred Ameracauna will never lay brown or olive eggs.

The ideal poultry website says in red type that they are pure ameracauna although not sold as show quality. I do not know how long this has been the case but I think its as wrong to assume all hatcheries sell mutts as it is wrong to assume that all independent breeders sell top quality.

I have 7 'ameraucana' girls and 1 boy from Ideal. I have only been an owner of chickens for a year and do not claim to be an expert. However, it is my opinion that what Ideal sells are better classified as easter eggers. Some people get militant about the difference but I am not one of those. I like my chickens. They have a nice disposition and very pretty varied colors so they are interesting to look at. They lay nice green eggs of various shades. It is my understanding that true Ameraucanas breed true to their color and always lay blue eggs. If you are looking for nice muffed chickens that lay green eggs, Ideal seems perfect to me. But, if your looking for blue only and true color breeding, you might look for a breeder. My guess is that you should get some from Ideal and try them. If you aren't satisfied, make them your kitchen layers and seek out something else later.

Back
Top Bottom