Ameracaunas from Ideal Poultry

Yes that comb will pass onto his offspring. The worst thing is that the pea comb is highly associated with the blue egg gene. So he may not produce blue egg layers. His comb should look like this.

[quote Thankname="AZChiknGoddess" url="/t/898066/ameracaunas-from-ideal-poultry/60#post_15167045"]Yes that comb will pass onto his offspring. The worst thing is that the pea comb is highly associated with the blue egg gene. So he may not produce blue egg layers. His comb should look like this.
[/quote]

Thanks! His colors are so pretty that I was hoping that comb was an anomoly. I guess I'll be looking for a new rooster to put in there. I love the blue and greenish eggs

Pea comb is dominant so if the hen is (P,P) then all offspring should express pea (P,p) would yeild half pea..unless what he has is a R rose instead of (r,r) in which case the offspring may contain walnuts.. I can't really tell them full extent of his comb shape though.. And without seeing parents and hatchmates its a shot in the dark.

I also want to add that not everyone who wants chickens that lay colored eggs care if the confirmation is there as most add their birds to mixed flocks anyway... So don't let anyone tell you to cull a bird unless the gene is fatal. Granted you may or may not produce offspring that further the breed and at a certain point shouldn't market as pure even if the parents are when selective breeding outside the standard of perfection..

..I guess what I'm saying is if you're a hobbyist then be a hobbyist.. Just as many people will eat an egg of a unique chicken than won't.

Last edited:
from Ideal poltry site
'''''''''''''''''''''Our poultry is purebred and represent the breed and variety; however, we do not guarantee or represent that they are show quality.""""

I am a hobbyist. My problem with the comb that developed on this rooster is that it is large and floppy. He looks like one of those anxious teenagers with the swoopy bang on one side. He looks like he has that angst. I just don't want him to resent me -- Ha! Ha! For the most part, I am most concerned with getting chicks that will lay blue/green eggs if I use him in breeding. Its unlikely that any of his male offspring would live past prime dinner size anyway. Thanks for the information!

I am a hobbyist.  My problem with the comb that developed on this rooster is that it is large and floppy.  He looks like one of those anxious teenagers with the swoopy bang on one side.  He looks like he has that angst.  I just don't want him to resent me -- Ha! Ha!  For the most part, I am most concerned with getting chicks that will lay blue/green eggs if I use him in breeding.  Its unlikely that any of his male offspring would live past prime dinner size anyway.  Thanks for the information!

You won't know what he may or may not pass to offspring until you breed him and see what happens. And honestly just one breeding won't tell you for sure unless you breed him to a hen with a double copy of the rose gene.. As in say a barred rock. (I use that example because the chicks would be sex linked and so you could keep hens.. If they all lay olive eggs then HE passed a blue gene as the barred rock only contributed brown and has (r,r) so if they all have pea combs he's probably passing pea on both genes as it covers rose.

from Ideal poltry site
'''''''''''''''''''''Our poultry is purebred and represent the breed and variety; however, we do not guarantee or represent that they are show quality.""""
LOL. That is too funny. I have 3 Ideal 'Ameraucana.' The 2 girls are clean faced, and my boy is a red columbian color. They all have yellow feet. No purebred Ameraucana is clean faced because the muffs are dominant. And I have never seen a pure Ameraucana, show quality or otherwise, with yellow feet.

Back
Top Bottom