Ameraucana: chick color leads to what hen color?

They are about 6 weeks old now. They each look very different. I believe I have 1 Roo, one silver? one that's light wheaten, others very dark etc. Because I'd expect them all to look the same if they were purebred (except the "whoops" Roo), I believe they are likely EE.
I looked online in the gallery of the Ameraucana Breeders Club and the silver Ameraucana chicks have chipmunk stripes. I'm hoping for blue eggs in the end. Which breeder did you use?

2 week old ameraucana from Urban Farm Store. Looking at breed club website it should be a silver, but not sure based on brown coloring coming in. Any ideas what she might look like as a hen from your own experience?

52341_april_2011_031.jpg

52341_april_2011_033.jpg
You have Easter Egger chicks. Not true Ameraucana. And there is no way to accurately predict just what they will end up looking like.

They are about 6 weeks old now. They each look very different. I believe I have 1 Roo, one silver? one that's light wheaten, others very dark etc. Because I'd expect them all to look the same if they were purebred (except the "whoops" Roo), I believe they are likely EE.
I looked online in the gallery of the Ameraucana Breeders Club and the silver Ameraucana chicks have chipmunk stripes. I'm hoping for blue eggs in the end. Which breeder did you use?
I got my hatching eggs from a nice local lady here in MI called RTM Hatching Eggs. We were about to try incubating some refrigerated eggs from a hen of ours that had died (my son's favorite). I didn't think it would work too well since they were old eggs that had been in the fridge at least 2 weeks, so I picked up some extra hatching eggs so we would have some success. I was expecting the chicks to hatch out as little yellow bundles of fluff.

I got my hatching eggs from a nice local lady here in MI called RTM Hatching Eggs.  We were about to try incubating some refrigerated eggs from a hen of ours that had died (my son's favorite).  I didn't think it would work too well since they were old eggs that had been in the fridge at least 2 weeks, so I picked up some extra hatching eggs so we would have some success.  I was expecting the chicks to hatch out as little yellow bundles of fluff. 

Well hopefully they will lay beautiful blue eggs! That's what I was really hoping for anyway. Still it bothers me that so many call their Easter Eggers "Purebread Ameraucanas". I suspect they just don't know.

Im not sure where u are located but here in Lakeland, Florida we have a gentleman name Bryan that bought from Blehm and Smith line of Ameraucanas and breeds them. They sell straight run and cost 10 dollars but he takes u back to see his hens and roos. He has black, wheaton and lavender. They are house by color so no bleed over possible. My wheatons were yellow with the only color on them the tips of the wings and 1 had a tiny spot on head. This is what they looked like a week ago. I also bought some from a lady that said ameraucanas but she alows all rooster colors to breed all hen colors. This is a pic of 1 of them.

I knew they were technically a EE but got them anyway because of coloring. They were a bit older so could see wing color well.

Im not sure where u are located but here in Lakeland, Florida we have a gentleman name Bryan that bought from Blehm and Smith line of Ameraucanas and breeds them. They sell straight run and cost 10 dollars but he takes u back to see his hens and roos. He has black, wheaton and lavender. They are house by color so no bleed over possible. My wheatons were yellow with the only color on them the tips of the wings and 1 had a tiny spot on head. This is what they looked like a week ago. I also bought some from a lady that said ameraucanas but she alows all rooster colors to breed all hen colors. This is a pic of 1 of them.

I knew they were technically a EE but got them anyway because of coloring. They were a bit older so could see wing color well.
I am in Michigan, so a bit far from Florida. Thanks though for the recommendation. @Clucking Nuts here are the two chicks I hatched out at 1 day of age:

I kept the top one with the two lighter dots in the dark stripe. Here it is at 3 weeks of age;

So pretty. I think the EEs are some of the prettiest and most interesting colored chickens. And i love how easy they r to tell apart. My pure breeds look so much alike especially my Lbs. I have six and they r even all the same size! Lol

Last edited:
So pretty. I think the EEs are some of the prettiest and most interesting colored chickens. And i love how easy they r to tell apart. My pure breeds look so much alike especially my Lbs. I have six and they r even all the same size! Lol
True EEs are pretty....but I already have EEs. I was looking for purebred Ameraucanas and that was what I was told the eggs were. The eggs looked much different than my EE's blue and green eggs that I thought they were the real deal. :-(

Back
Top Bottom