Ameraucana: chick color leads to what hen color?

Quote:
I second everything klf said, and would only add that in general, it is "safer" for us to call everything that comes from a hatchery as an "Ameraucana" an EE, because you literally never know what you are going to get, and like klf said, they will rarely, if ever, breed true.
wink.png

Example:
I have two hatchery "Ameraucanas" that don't even carry the blue egg gene. One lays a pinkish egg with white speckles on it, and the other lays a brown egg. They both have very full beards and muffs, nice tight pea combs, and slate colored legs. One of them is cream colored with blue beard and red leakage on her feathers, but when I breed her to my lavender roo, I've gotten all BLUE chicks...
ep.gif

wink.png

I just bought a chipmunk chick, just one, and told she is Ameraucana, but then I also got a bantam sized chipmunk chick, but they weren't sure if it was accidental result of a crossbreeding of their cochin hen or the silkie hen and Ameraucana roo. Ill post pics later, they are identical in markings but not size, lol, they are just absolutely adorable. Also got a silver laced wyandotte!

EDIT: I just went to the above link to look them up and found exact matches, Silver bantam and Large Silver! Awesome, although since the bantam I have is a cross still looks the same.

Last edited:

What kind of hen is this? She just hatched these chicks with a Rhode Island Red rooster, she lays light green eggs

Last edited:
Kind of sad I just found this...after waiting 21 days for chicks to hatch and driving hours to pick up my "Purebred Wheaten Ameraucanas", I just read that what I likely have are very expensive Easter Eggers!---angry too because I asked the guy if they were Easter Eggers and he said no, that they were Purebreds. A few have prominent chipmunk stripes so I think I've been had.
th.gif

Kind of sad I just found this...after waiting 21 days for chicks to hatch and driving hours to pick up my "Purebred Wheaten Ameraucanas", I just read that what I likely have are very expensive Easter Eggers!---angry too because I asked the guy if they were Easter Eggers and he said no, that they were Purebreds. A few have prominent chipmunk stripes so I think I've been had.
th.gif
So how did the chicks turn out? Were they EEs? I also just hatched out a couple of purebred Wheaten Ameraucanas that I got from a breeder. The eggs were a beautiful blue color, different than my EE's blue/mint green eggs. Both chicks hatched out with chipmunk stripes. Hmmmm....

Back
Top Bottom