Ameraucana Hens Loosing Beard Feathers!

No, my EE's both still have no beards and I have been looking at the skin under their chins almost daily, there doesnt seem to be any new feathers growing. It is just bare skin under their chins and I am not sure if it will ever grow back? I have kind of given up on the situation. It hasnt affected any of my others birds at all so I figure it is just a weird EE thing. Please let me know how any of you others out there resolved this problem!

My EEs have this going on. They are just turned 2 years old at the end of April and neither EE has ever done an adult molt. The other breeds in my flock (Australorp, Wyandotte, Cuckoo Marans) all molted fully last fall at around 18 months old, and re-grew completely new feathers while they weren't laying eggs. But the EEs laid all winter and never molted. Now, though their colors are still vivid, the EEs are getting more and more raggedy-looking plumage and their faces are becoming barer. I think this weird beard and facial feather dropping must have to do with their breed, more than anything else. I'm wondering if they will molt hard during the summer?

I took the birds to a local breeder and he said that because the EE is not an actual breed and more of a hybrid (even most Ameraucana's are hybrids even though they dont tell you) they are having this problem. EE's are bred solely for their eggs and the coloring and quality of their feathers do not matter. This is why many EE's are loosing feathers in random places and having issues with molt and the other things that people are describing in relation to feather loss and scruffy looking.

http://apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/Easter Eggers vs.pdf

This being said dont automatically assume that feather loss is just a breed thing, feather loss can be a reason for many different health issues and problems. Use it as a last resort if you cant get your birds to feather out in any other way.

But if they had beards shouldn't they keep their beards?

I would check for lice everywhere.

Change feed to a higher protein.

Add vitamin water.

Well it has been about a week since I noticed our Easter Egger's loosing the feathers on their necks and under their cheeks. I have 22 hens, 6 of them being EE and this is only happening to them. I have checked for lice, mites, etc.. I can't find anything. I do see the other chickens pick feathers off of the backs of the other chickens (I have no roosters) I think they are doing that because they are bored. It has been very hot and windy here and they seem to spend most days in the coop then. I will up the protein using the flock raiser and add vitamins to their water. I sure hope I see some improvement. Thanks in advance for your help - lea (my chickens are 24 weeks, bought at day old chicks from Ideal)

I'm curious if your EEs are growing their beard/neck feathers back. I have two EEs that are 16 months old ow. Both went into a molt in late Fall. The one took about 3 months before she started laying again. The other was through in about 6 weeks. Lola, the one that took forever never grew her beard and chin feathers back. It looked like it was trying to grow back for a while, but now about 5 months later, she looks as bare around her chin as she did during the molt. Just red skin - no blood, no mites, no nothing, except for a very few little pin feathers still trying to grow. She is highest in the pecking order and does not get pecked on. In fact, my 4 chickens get along great and nobody pecks on anybody. She really is doing great otherwise, lays an egg most days and is very active. They're very pampered chickens and get to free-range half the day. Just thought I'd post the story of my EE to this thread as well, because it seems to be a rather common thing that some EEs are loosing their feathers around their necks.

My EE's feathers have started to grow back, it was the weirdest thing, but they have started to grow feathers again under their chins and ears.... Mine are only 7 months old, and did not fully molt, hope this helps.

Yeah well, I'm not too concerned about her having no feathers around her chin since she's otherwise a happy and healthy hen. It's probably a genetic freak occurrence amongst EE's. At this point, she's probably glad not having a beard, because summer temps are on the rise... LOL

This is weird but I just posted about my 24 week old EE - so far she is the only one missing face feathers, and we don't have a rooster so that can't be the problem. Sure would love an answer - here is a picture of mine. I put that pine tar "Rooster Booster" no pick ointment on her this evening in case some body was picking on her.
42672_004.jpg
I have this exact same issue! Can Anybody Help???

me too! I have a 1.5 year old EE who hasn't had beard feathers in a year. I have a 6 month old one as well and she is missing half of hers. I also have a silkie who is molting and her beard was just starting to come back in and now its been picked out. I am hoping I can change something so they will grow back? Poor girls

Back
Top Bottom