Ameraucana, or not? Gender? (new pic)

I went out to feed and water the youngsters and tried to snap a picture of Bertha/Bert.
Does this pic help?

113016_img_1422.jpg

This is one of the most frustrating questions. to clarify breed, the Americana species, sometimes called Americauna, is white with black tipped tail feathers and black speckles and spots around the wattles and neck. the shank is a slate blue color. the Aracauna chicken is mainly tan- brown with black speckles on all parts of the body. the shank is more of a green- blue color. the Americana lays blue, pink, and [rarely] purple- ish eggs. the Aracauna lays a greener color. As for temperment, they are both sweet with an attitude. as with all birds, it depends on how they were raised as chicks.

-- i hope this can help.

Thanks for the responses! Boy easter eggers!
I think Sparks will do fine free-rangin' it with the guineas during the day but with Bert I would worry because he is solid white. He would stand out like a neon buffet sign.
Silly me. When I bought them I remember thinking "if I get any roos, I can always put them in the freezer." Fat chance. I knew NOT to name the lil cuties.

Sparks was brought inside last night because he was bleeding. (pecked, probably by Bertha, er Bert) We patched him up and set up a place for him in the mud room.

It's confirmed. Sparks is a roo! He has been trying to crow for the past hour. It sounds like his squeaker is broken!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom