Ameraucana with a speckled sussex pattern?

I just saw one the other day (not mine)...I imagine she was some sort of cross as she was in with a group of different-coloured Easter Eggers.

She had a very pronounced muff, but a distinct red/white speckled Sussex pattern. It sort of surprised me.

I have a Speckled Sussex rooster that I am breeding into my Easter Egger flock in the hopes of producing Speckled Easter Eggers. I'm hoping to create a whole flock of them in 10 to 15 years.

Joining in to ask if anyone has pictures of speckled Ameraucana crosses? I'm toying with the idea of casually working on a speckled Easter Egger flock. I'd love to end up with a flock of speckled/mottled birds of various shades with beards, muffs, and gentle/docile personalities, along with a rainbow of egg shades. I have some ideas in my mind of how I think I should approach the project, but I'd love to see what others are doing!

IMG_20170904_125834339.jpg

I somehow created these beauties with a blue EE rooster crossed with most likely a buff orpington hen according to some of the genetic gurus on this site. Not mottling or speckled, but just an example of what you can get from two solid colored parents. Genetics are crazy!!!

I somehow created these beauties with a blue EE rooster crossed with most likely a buff orpington hen according to some of the genetic gurus on this site. Not mottling or speckled, but just an example of what you can get from two solid colored parents. Genetics are crazy!!!

They look so cool! I think you have a penciled and/or laced pattern rather than mottling/speckles, but the effect is still quite striking! Thanks for sharing.

I have a Speckled Sussex rooster that I am breeding into my Easter Egger flock in the hopes of producing Speckled Easter Eggers.
Am wondering about the "direction" of the cross. I too have Speckled Sussex HENS and have (was substituted) a OE rooster - had wanted a EEgger.
My question being that I have Ameraucana Chickens that I had wanted to breed with the EEGGER rooster I do not have.
The Speckled Sussex will be the largest of the flock - so how would the direction of the cross affect the size of the bird. Is the hen dominant or the Rooster?
I suspect that with the OEgger rooster mating with the Susex I would still have a large bird - less so with a Egger or a Ameraucana Rooster.
Also have some Cuckoo Marans. Very interesting the personalities of these different breeds.
OE and CM being the dominant ones. Speckled Sussex are the WORST scratch and diggers in the brooder - they mess up the feeder and water more than any of my other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom