American(Buff, Blue, Lavander,etc.)goose thread! Post pics!

Pics
So, my half american buff geese are starting to get some white in their faces around their bills and in their cheek patches. It's really quite pretty, but it really drives home the fact that they're definitely half Canada goose and not purebreds.

So, my half american buff geese are starting to get some white in their faces around their bills and in their cheek patches. It's really quite pretty, but it really drives home the fact that they're definitely half Canada goose and not purebreds.

She sure is gorgeous though @Pyxis I know you probably said but where did you get her?

Thanks Miss Lydia!I got her from the head of the VT Bird Fanciers Club - or at least he told me he was the head, I can't corroborate that, but I'm not sure why he would have lied about it. Her and her sister were supposed to be purebred American Buffs from show lines. It's pretty clear that they're not, though. Their father must have been a Canada goose.

Luckily though I didn't get them to show, just to be companions for my other goose. They are a skittish, being half wild goose, but watching Lacie interact with me has gotten them to be less so. They can also fly - not enough to really go anywhere, but they sure can fly across the whole yard when they want to. Being half Canada goose, I expect they will be good mothers, although they'll have to be adoptive mothers because they're sterile.

I am trying to understand some of my Buff ganders body language and vocals. Sometimes they seem to get ****** off for no reason I can see and it escalates into me getting bit and then having to retaliate. I am thinking there is a "failure to communicate" here. I would rather not have to send them to freezer camp. I was planning on hatching some girls for them.

Thanks Miss Lydia!I got her from the head of the VT Bird Fanciers Club - or at least he told me he was the head, I can't corroborate that, but I'm not sure why he would have lied about it. Her and her sister were supposed to be purebred American Buffs from show lines. It's pretty clear that they're not, though. Their father must have been a Canada goose.

Luckily though I didn't get them to show, just to be companions for my other goose. They are a skittish, being half wild goose, but watching Lacie interact with me has gotten them to be less so. They can also fly - not enough to really go anywhere, but they sure can fly across the whole yard when they want to. Being half Canada goose, I expect they will be good mothers, although they'll have to be adoptive mothers because they're sterile.
Looking at her face I can see Canada goose there. I think Canada's are lovely geese sad he didn't tell you. But they sure are pretty anyway.

I am trying to understand some of my Buff ganders body language and vocals. Sometimes they seem to get ****** off for no reason I can see and it escalates into me getting bit and then having to retaliate. I am thinking there is a "failure to communicate" here. I would rather not have to send them to freezer camp. I was planning on hatching some girls for them.

Can you describe what body language you are talking about?

Sounds like typical gander behavior at this time of year, Breeding season is coming on us fast and that is typically when Ganders don't mind their manners and preceive everything including us as a threat. Not much you can do except keep him from getting close enough to bite I use the broom or long bamboo pole and keep mine at a safe distance. They take their responsibility very serious.
Freezer camp isn't an option for me I love my 2 ganders dearly so I just adjust my way of interacting with them for this time of year. We can't change them but we can make ourselves less of a target.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom