American(Buff, Blue, Lavander,etc.)goose thread! Post pics!

Pics
OK, I am a little worried about my pair of Buffs. Hercules and Eolis seem healthy enough but they have been loosing weight. I have been feeding them Flock Raiser and letting them out to graze on clover and feeding some wild bird feed from time to time as treats. I put out more than they can clean up in a day just to be sure I am not underfeeding them but still the stay skinny. I know I possibly need to worm them. What would you recommend?

I want to say there's nothing wrong

My geese have lost weight too but not an unhealthy weight they're the kind of thin that's healthy . But they have lost weight I think it's just the warm weather is burning off some more calories due to the geese walking around so much in it . Something like that .

OK, I am a little worried about my pair of Buffs. Hercules and Eolis seem healthy enough but they have been loosing weight. I have been feeding them Flock Raiser and letting them out to graze on clover and feeding some wild bird feed from time to time as treats. I put out more than they can clean up in a day just to be sure I am not underfeeding them but still the stay skinny. I know I possibly need to worm them. What would you recommend?
How old are they? Geese shouldn´t get skinny, except if they´re sitting on a nest they may do. Are these babies? Or adults?

Adults. The main reason I noticed they were skinny is that I caught them and picked them up an noticed that their weight had changed from when I had first gotten them.
Well, firstly I´d recommend not putting out more feed than they can eat, as it can spoil or attract vermin, then you have a whole new set of problems.
Worming would be a good idea.
It could simply be that they were overweight when you got them, and are now the weight they should be, but they shouldn´t feel skinny. Geese should have plump bodies. Except, of course, when the geese are sitting and don´t eat very much.
The food you´re giving them is good, clover is good. I assume they get grass among the clover too, and grit? So maybe just worming will help. You should find worming treatment for geese easily enough.

well, good news is: I am getting my Am Buff goslings!!!! bad news is they have to send 4 in the box and I only wanted 2. sigh. husband is going to kill me.. I am in Virginia if anyone wants 2 female goslings...I would let them go at cost gladly.

This is Crush (the big one in the pool and then in the kitchen on the right) and Marlin! 5 week old Buffs (they hatched within a few days of each other). We had a scare with Marlin when she was about 2 weeks. The dog tried playing with her and pawed her in just the right spot. We have no idea what happened nor how she lived through it because she was definitely on the brink of death. Ever since then she's been getting further and further behind in growth.

Any suggestions??

Back
Top Bottom