American(Buff, Blue, Lavander,etc.)goose thread! Post pics!

here are my American beauties. I am getting 2 buff Africans and 2 brown Africans form holderread. now all I need is a American buff female for micky. My geese have been in rare form lately the males have been a little more aggressive then normal , are they getting in to breeding form all ready? it has been warmer then normal for this time of year.

here are my American beauties. I am getting 2 buff Africans and 2 brown Africans form holderread. now all I need is a American buff female for micky. My geese have been in rare form lately the males have been a little more aggressive then normal , are they getting in to breeding form all ready? it has been warmer then normal for this time of year.
They are lovely. They maybe confused too Iain Utah said she has 2 eggs from her Dewlap Toulouse already.

Weather maybe playing a role in it all.

Hello, I am a muscovy keeping goose lover in Michigan, USA and will be lurking on this thread until my kids are big enough and I get my own American Buff geese in 5 to 8 years (unless I pen them away from the kids, but then they can't take advantage of my clovery/grass yard in it's fullest like my grass-pooping muscovies do). I can't wait to have my geese, but until I do, I can just socialize with our local wild geese and our sweet muscovies and endearingly pushy chickens.

Thanks for letting me lurk!

I have two American Buff ganders. I traded a ram fore them when they were yearlings (they are 3 now). I had geese once before (Brown Africans). I really like these guys better overall. They are a bit smarter. As in they know not to play in the road (the demise of one of the African ganders). But not being bonded to me from hatching we have had our rough patches. One of them was kicked by a donkey and has a permenant limp; also a permenint attitude to go with it. The first year was rather rocky while I tried to learn their body language and dodge being bit. Not always successful on the last.

One day, it occurred to me that they were bowing not snaking their heads low to make an attack on my ankles or calf. So I returned the bow and told them how beautiful they were and how handsome their feathers. And they flapped their wings and preened and walked stately away. And I realized that they are Hippogriffs. If you are not a Harry Potter fan then you need to see the Prisoner of Azkaban where Hippogriffs are introduced. Hagrid explains to his students that you must be polite and bow to the Hippogriffs or they will be offended and bite. I swear JK Rowling based the Hippogriffs off of geese.

Hello, I am a muscovy keeping goose lover in Michigan, USA and will be lurking on this thread until my kids are big enough and I get my own American Buff geese in 5 to 8 years (unless I pen them away from the kids, but then they can't take advantage of my clovery/grass yard in it's fullest like my grass-pooping muscovies do). I can't wait to have my geese, but until I do, I can just socialize with our local wild geese and our sweet muscovies and endearingly pushy chickens.

Thanks for letting me lurk!

Well the Muscovies may have the clover to themselves mostly. Mine do not like legumes (of which clover is one along with Alfalfa). They do dig some Timothy though. You might use these "waiting years" to establish a mix of grasses that geese will love.

Last edited:
Hello to all goose lovers. My first post here and complete novice. Trying to learn all I can.
Want to get my first geese in the next month or 2 and eventually want to get perhaps 25 or more for weeding chores on my little farm (4.7 acres) We have 3 acres in date garden and want the geese to keep bermuda grass and nut grass at a minimum.
I've been looking at different breeds and America Blue and lavander are finding their way to the top. Also considering Cotton Patch and Pilgrim.
anyway, just saying hello. I will be reading lots and probably have lots of questions as I go along.
Howdy y'all

Okay, no problem. We already have some grass in our yards, maybe I'll encourage some more. The chickens and ducks don't like it unless it's winter though(and everything else has gone dormant). I assumed geese would be the same. Sounds like everybody could potentially get their own part of the salad bar and still be happy.

Whoohoo! Just caught a pair of geese getting frisky in the pool this morning.
bun.gif
Looks like it's time to get the nesting area ready!

Back
Top Bottom